Proving the Relationship Between Odd Primes and the Sum of Squares

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if an odd prime, p, does not divide a nor b, but divides the sum of their squares - a^2 + b^2 -, then p = 1 mod 4. The speaker mentions considering the special case where gcd(a,b) = 1 and the use of Gaussian primes to solve the problem. They also mention the more general result that primes expressible as a sum of two squares are congruent to 1 mod 4. Finally, they discuss an alternative method of solving for X and Y in the equation \frac{X^2}{Y^2}\equiv -1 Mod p.
Werg22
I've kind of fallen behind in my Algebra class and I really haven't read much about the theory. I'm wondering, how would you go on about proving that if an odd prime, p, does not divide a nor b, but divides the sum of their squares - a^2 + b^2 -, then p = 1 mod 4.

Up to know, I've been considering the special case in which gcd(a,b) = 1. Of course solving for this case solves for the entire problem; also it leaves something to work with since a^2 + b^2 = a + b mod 3 and a^2 + b^2 = 1 mod 4 or a^2 + b^2 = 2 mod 4. From that point all I tried seemingly led to a dead end. Maybe there is a property or something of the kind that I am not aware of and without which the problem becomes very cumbersome?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know anything about the ring of Gaussian integers Z?

Nope. Like I said I'm quite weak with the theory right now as I've allowed myself to slip behind. Could you give me some details on this ring so I can read about it?

Z = {a+bi : a,b in Z}. Addition and multiplication done like in C turn it into a ring.

Like in Z, there is a notion of "prime number" in Z. The fact I want to exploit is that if p is a prime in Z, and p=3 (mod 4), then p is also a prime in Z (i.e. a Gaussian prime). So maybe you can read up on Gaussian primes.

After that, if we suppose p = 3 (mod 4) in your problem, then p|(a^2+b^2)=(a+bi)(a-bi) would imply that p|(a+bi) or p|(a-bi), which would lead to a contradiction. So p must be = 1 (mod 4).

But there are probably more elementary ways to do this. Number theory isn't my strong suit.

Hummm I don't believe we've gone into such theory quite yet. There must be a more elementary way like you said...

There is no really easy way on that problem, if what you mean is that p = sum of two squares (in only one way). It was stated by Fermat in 1640 and not proven until 1747 by Euler. 1770 proven by Lagrange. 1887 by Dedikand using Gaussian integers. Wikepedia.

However, it is much easier if you only want an X and Y such that X^2+Y^2 ==0 Mod p, because in that case you only need solve [tex] \frac{X^2}{Y^2}\equiv -1 Mod p [/tex]

Last edited:
Isn't the result you're talking about more general, though? That is, it states those primes that are expressible as a sum of two squares are precisely those that are congruent to 1 mod 4 (with the trivial exception of p=2).

Here we only have that p divides a^2 + b^2, and not that it equals it.

morphism: Here we only have that p divides a^2 + b^2, and not that it equals it.

Yes, that is true. By the time I recognized that and got around to it, you were ahead of me. We only need solve: [tex] \frac{X^2}{Y^2}\equiv -1 Mod p [/tex]

Last edited:
robert Ihnot said:
[tex] \frac{X^2}{Y^2}\equiv -1 Mod p [/tex]
Ah, that's nice. :smile: I should have seen it!

1. How do I design a scientific experiment to prove my hypothesis?

The first step is to clearly define your hypothesis and what you are trying to prove. Then, design an experiment that includes a control group and experimental group, controls for variables, and a large sample size. Make sure to also consider ethical and safety considerations.

2. What type of data should I collect to support my hypothesis?

The type of data you collect will depend on your specific hypothesis and experiment. Generally, quantitative data (numbers and measurements) is more objective and easier to analyze, while qualitative data (descriptions and observations) can provide more detail and insights. It's important to choose data that is relevant and directly supports your hypothesis.

3. How do I ensure the accuracy and reliability of my results?

To ensure accuracy and reliability, it's important to use proper techniques and controls during the experiment, carefully record data, and repeat the experiment multiple times to check for consistency. It's also important to use appropriate statistical analysis to interpret the results and determine if they are significant.

4. Can I use existing data or do I need to conduct my own experiment?

It depends on your research question and hypothesis. If there is already existing data that directly supports your hypothesis, it may be appropriate to use it. However, if the data is not directly related or does not provide enough evidence, conducting your own experiment would be more reliable and valid.

5. How can I communicate my results effectively?

When communicating your results, it's important to clearly state your hypothesis, methods, and findings. Use visual aids such as graphs or tables to present your data, and explain any statistical analysis you performed. It's also important to discuss any limitations and potential implications of your results in the context of the larger scientific community.