1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How current is Feynman?

1. Feb 7, 2005 #1
    I'm interested in learning the fundamentals of physics, likely from Feynman's text. However, I'd like to know if there's anything in the Feynman that's been disproved since it was published as I'd hate to have to unlearn anything I didn't have to. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2005 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Feymann's books may be out of date, but I don't think anything in them has been found false. The trend in physics since around 1923 has been positive; older theories have been relegated to limited energy ranges but they haven't been disproven within those ranges. The basic stuff in Feynmann's elementary physics texts is timeless.

4. Feb 7, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's extend that to December 14th,1900. :wink:

Well,the reason for which Feynman's book (as u may have known it is an improved version of a course on General Physics he used to teach for several years) is still valid and will be for a lotta time from now on is that the facts exposed there are NOT ADVANCED.He never mentions (aspects,results from) QFT and the QM chapter is taught at elementary level...
    Yes,by not teaching things that had (at that time) the chance of suffering rapid & dramatic changes,Feynman assured immortality for his book.

PRICELESS!!! :cool:

Daniel.

5. Feb 7, 2005 #4
    :smile: All right, thanks a bunch, dextercioby and selfAdjoint. I'm sure I'll be back once I finish this puppy to ask about the next step/area I can learn about. Possibly, I will be back before then for clarification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?