I How did Newton obtain F = ma?

Hi, I am concluding a phD in Nanotechnology and I just started studying physics by myself. I just wonder how did Newton obtain F = ma? What experiment did he perform? Which 2 variables did he measure? How did he measure them?

Hi, I am concluding a phD in Nanotechnology and I just started studying physics by myself. I just wonder how did Newton obtain F = ma? What experiment did he perform? Which 2 variables did he measure? How did he measure them?
What research have you done on this? What have you found out so far?

I have tried to look on the Internet, but I haven't found anything good yet. I have also asked physicist, but they don't know.

You and I must have a different definition of "good"
Sorry, I read part of the article you attached but I don't see any explanations of how did Newton got F=ma.

davenn

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sorry, I read part of the article you attached but I don't see any explanations of how did Newton got F=ma.

Phinds didn't attach an article .... you were reading his signature link which is always
there and is on a totally different topic

Newton didnt

from a post about a year ago on the forum by one of our mentors @russ_watters ....

" Google tells me Newton didn't even discover the 2nd law, Galileo or his contemporaries did. Galileo did experiments, and some famous ones are often performed in high school and freshman physics courses, such as rolling balls down an inclined plane and dropping objects of different masses.
http://muse.tau.ac.il/museum/galileo/galileo_low_of_fall.html
http://nicadd.niu.edu/~macc/162/class_3b.pdf

My understanding is that Newton was mostly a mathematician and he added mathematical rigor to the experimental work done before him."

cheers
Dave

I have no idea what you are talking about. I did not attaching anything

EDIT: oops ... I see Dave already beat me to it.

What was the original experiment used to show that f = ma. What was measured in this experiment and how was it measured?

russ_watters

Mentor
What was the original experiment used to show that f = ma. What was measured in this experiment and how was it measured?
Please put more effort into reading the information you are provided. Thread locked.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving