Uncovering the Origins of F = ma: Newton's Experiment and Measurements

• Thread starter Fernando Rios
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newton
In summary, Newton did not discover the second law of motion, but he added mathematical rigor to the experimental work done before him. The original experiment used to show F = ma was performed by Galileo or his contemporaries and involved rolling balls down an inclined plane and dropping objects of different masses. The two variables measured in this experiment were force and acceleration, and they were measured using mathematical calculations and observations of the objects' movements.
Fernando Rios
Hi, I am concluding a phD in Nanotechnology and I just started studying physics by myself. I just wonder how did Newton obtain F = ma? What experiment did he perform? Which 2 variables did he measure? How did he measure them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fernando Rios said:
Hi, I am concluding a phD in Nanotechnology and I just started studying physics by myself. I just wonder how did Newton obtain F = ma? What experiment did he perform? Which 2 variables did he measure? How did he measure them?
What research have you done on this? What have you found out so far?

Likes davenn and pinball1970
I have tried to look on the Internet, but I haven't found anything good yet. I have also asked physicist, but they don't know.

Fernando Rios said:
I have tried to look on the Internet, but I haven't found anything good yet.
You and I must have a different definition of "good"

phinds said:
You and I must have a different definition of "good"
Sorry, I read part of the article you attached but I don't see any explanations of how did Newton got F=ma.

Fernando Rios said:
Sorry, I read part of the article you attached but I don't see any explanations of how did Newton got F=ma.
Phinds didn't attach an article ... you were reading his signature link which is always
there and is on a totally different topic

Fernando Rios said:
Newton didnt

from a post about a year ago on the forum by one of our mentors @russ_watters ...

" Google tells me Newton didn't even discover the 2nd law, Galileo or his contemporaries did. Galileo did experiments, and some famous ones are often performed in high school and freshman physics courses, such as rolling balls down an inclined plane and dropping objects of different masses.
http://muse.tau.ac.il/museum/galileo/galileo_low_of_fall.html
http://nicadd.niu.edu/~macc/162/class_3b.pdf

My understanding is that Newton was mostly a mathematician and he added mathematical rigor to the experimental work done before him."cheers
Dave

Likes russ_watters
Fernando Rios said:
I have no idea what you are talking about. I did not attaching anything

EDIT: oops ... I see Dave already beat me to it.

Likes davenn
What was the original experiment used to show that f = ma. What was measured in this experiment and how was it measured?

Fernando Rios said:
What was the original experiment used to show that f = ma. What was measured in this experiment and how was it measured?
Please put more effort into reading the information you are provided. Thread locked.

1. How did Newton come up with the concept of force?

Newton's concept of force was based on his observations of the motion of objects. He noticed that objects tend to remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force. This led him to propose the idea of inertia, which is the tendency of objects to resist changes in their state of motion.

2. What led Newton to develop the formula F = ma?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This relationship can be expressed mathematically as F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. Newton developed this formula through his experiments and observations of the motion of objects.

3. Did Newton have any predecessors who contributed to the concept of F = ma?

Yes, the concept of F = ma can be traced back to Galileo's experiments on the motion of falling objects. However, it was Newton who first formulated this relationship in his second law of motion and provided a mathematical expression for it.

4. How did Newton's understanding of gravity influence his development of F = ma?

Newton's understanding of gravity played a crucial role in the development of F = ma. He realized that the force of gravity acting on an object is directly proportional to its mass and the acceleration due to gravity. This led him to incorporate the concept of gravity into his second law of motion and the formula F = ma.

5. How did Newton's formulation of F = ma impact the field of physics?

Newton's formulation of F = ma revolutionized the field of physics. It provided a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the motion of objects, leading to the development of classical mechanics. This formula is still widely used in physics and engineering to calculate the force required to produce a certain acceleration or the acceleration produced by a given force.