Can You Explain the Mystery of 9.8m/s^2 Acceleration on Earth?

• I
  • Thread starter Theonefrom1994
  • Start date
In summary, Galileo's suggestion that bodies accelerate at the same rate was proposed in 1638 and the vacuum pump was invented in 1650. Furthermore, one can do this measurement today without a vacuum. Take a pendulum with bobs of fixed size and shape, but of different materials. Plot g vs 1/m and extrapolate to zero. If air resistance is significant then by doubling the density of the bob (with the same size and shape) we should get a significant change in the time for the heavier bob - significantly less. However, if we get almost the same time for both bobs, then air resistance must be almost negligible. Hence the time must be close to what we would get in a vacuum, and we can
Theonefrom1994
TL;DR Summary
How did people find 9.8m/s^2 If there’s air resistance on earth ?
My understanding is that all falling objects on Earth will fall at the same acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 in the absence of air resistance . But isn’t air resistance everywhere on the planet since we have an atmosphere ? . So how did these scientists from back in the day figure out the 9.8 number ?

Likes Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org
Theonefrom1994 said:
Summary:: How did people find 9.8m/s^2 If there’s air resistance on Earth ?

My understanding is that all falling objects on Earth will fall at the same acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 in the absence of air resistance . But isn’t air resistance everywhere on the planet since we have an atmosphere ? . So how did these scientists from back in the day figure out the 9.8 number ?

Someone has written a book about it:

https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319749587

Likes davenn, Theonefrom1994, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
It's a good question. However, there are many circumstances where air resistance only creates small errors. For example, dropping small dense objects, like an iron ball.

Likes Theonefrom1994
I like PeroK's answer. However, the question assumes, as Perry Mason would say "facts not in evidence". Galileo's suggestion that bodies accelerate at the same rate was proposed in 1638 and the vacuum pump was invented in 1650.

Furthermore, one can do this measurement today without a vacuum. Take a pendulum with bobs of fixed size and shape, but of different materials. Plot g vs 1/m and extrapolate to zero.

Likes Drakkith, Theonefrom1994 and PeroK
Vanadium 50 said:
I like PeroK's answer. However, the question assumes, as Perry Mason would say "facts not in evidence". Galileo's suggestion that bodies accelerate at the same rate was proposed in 1638 and the vacuum pump was invented in 1650.

Furthermore, one can do this measurement today without a vacuum. Take a pendulum with bobs of fixed size and shape, but of different materials. Plot g vs 1/m and extrapolate to zero.
I was trying to know how people figured it out because it was never presented to me . I’ was sure there evidence for it I was just unaware Of what that evidence is And how it can be demonstrated if you don’t have a vacuum .

Theonefrom1994 said:
I was trying to know how people figured it out because it was never presented to me . I’ was sure there evidence for it I was just unaware Of what that evidence is And how it can be demonstrated if you don’t have a vacuum .
Suppose we have a pendulum and we count the time for a large number of oscillations. If air resistance is significant then by doubling the density of the bob (with the same size and shape) we should get a significant change in the time for the heavier bob - significantly less. If, however, we get almost the same time for both bobs, then air resistance must be almost negligible. Hence the time must be close to what we would get in a vacuum, and we can get an accurate estimate for ##g##.

Likes Lnewqban, Theonefrom1994, phinds and 2 others
Theonefrom1994 said:
because it was never presented to me
Your question shows that you were actually thinking about the problem. Much of the Science we are taught at elementary level is not suitable for too much follow-up thinking. :smile:
Keep reading and asking.

Likes Lnewqban, scottdave, vanhees71 and 3 others
Theonefrom1994 said:

Do this in air then. For small oscillation, the affect of air is negligible, y'know, the effect is so small it is in the high decimal digits.

We do this in many General Physics lab. Measure the period T of a pendulum at a particular length L. Then vary L, measure T again... You will have a series of values of T for each L.

Now plot T versus √L. You will find that it resembles a straight line. Do a linear fit through the data points. The slope of your graph is equal to 2π/(√g). This means that knowing the slope of your fitted line, you now can experimentally find g!

I've just done my students' next week's lab!

Zz.

Likes Lnewqban, whoohm, vanhees71 and 2 others
Thanks for the responses ! This was helpful ! I’ll try to do my own set up with a pendulum and try this out !

Likes berkeman, vanhees71 and PeroK
Physical constants are often defined in one way, but best measured in a different way.

Likes vanhees71

1. How did people discover the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity, or 9.8m/s^2, was first discovered by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century. He observed that objects fall towards the Earth at a consistent rate, and through his experiments and mathematical calculations, he was able to determine the value of 9.8m/s^2.

2. What factors affect the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is affected by two main factors: the mass of the objects involved and the distance between them. The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. Similarly, the closer two objects are to each other, the stronger their gravitational attraction will be.

3. How is the acceleration due to gravity measured?

The acceleration due to gravity is typically measured using a device called an accelerometer. This device measures the rate of change in velocity of an object, which can then be used to calculate the acceleration. Other methods of measurement include using a pendulum or a free-falling object.

4. Is the acceleration due to gravity the same everywhere on Earth?

No, the acceleration due to gravity can vary slightly depending on location. This is because the Earth is not a perfect sphere and has variations in its mass distribution. Additionally, altitude and latitude can also affect the value of the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can the acceleration due to gravity change over time?

The acceleration due to gravity is considered a constant value, meaning it does not change over time. However, it can vary slightly due to factors such as the Earth's rotation and tides. But for most practical purposes, it is considered a constant value of 9.8m/s^2.