Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How did PF change you?

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

How did PF change you??

This is obviously a question for the more addicted members of this forum. How did PF help you or change things about you??

As for me, I find myself more sensitive to unscientific arguments. I like to see more evidence for facts which might not be obvious. And I'm more argumentative to potential crackpottery. I used to be able to listen to people talk about those things, but now I start getting headaches (from an imaginary Evo screaming to BAN HIM).

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: How did PF change you??

You know you love it! :biggrin:

4. Jan 4, 2012 #3

I am a new member, but still-addicted.
    Not only PF but other science forums on the web have transformed the way I study. Earlier, I used to raise questions in subjects, but I never thought how appropriate they were. If you join the community, you certainly get to know what is the art of raising questions, how relevant the questions are, and how should one approach to answer them.
    I get to know new things daily on the scientific forums. Yes, it adds to the quality of argumentation, makes you capable of presenting you ideas in a better way.

And you have comics, hilarious threads and ladies around.

5. Jan 4, 2012 #4

Evo

I find that I have lost the ability to watch woowoo on tv and in movies. Reality tv woowoo is the worst. Because I have to research things that are posted and research things I believe to be true to make sure the members are getting the best answers, the amount of crackpotterry I am exposed to on the internet really upsets me. I'm glad that PF has no tolerance for nonsense and misinformation. It's a breath of fresh air.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  6. Jan 4, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Greg should set up his own television channel with only proper science and good shows. We could have "Cooking with turbo", "Micromass' adventures in mathmagic land" and "Vanadiums academic guidance show"...

7. Jan 4, 2012 #6

Drakkith

My experiences are similar to Micromass. It has...taught me to look at the world in a whole new light. And like Rktpro said, it has taught me HOW to ask a question and how to answer them. And perhaps something that most people don't realize, it has taught me the limitations of current knowledge and not to simply accept everything that turns up in the news that appears amazing and sensational.

8. Jan 4, 2012 #7

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was already scientifically-minded and highly critical of BS before I came to PF. This is the first forum on which I've used my real name. It has taught me to keep my mouth shut unless I know exactly what I'm talking about and can say it respectfully and concisely.

9. Jan 4, 2012 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I have learned nothing from PF. The real question is: What has PF learned from Pengwuino?

10. Jan 4, 2012 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Never trust a penguin.

11. Jan 4, 2012 #10

People at PF have more interests in common than people around me. Hot sauces, hot food, gummy bears, songs, discovery/nat geo are just few to name.

12. Jan 4, 2012 #11

fluidistic

Gold Member

Gained 10 kilograms thanks to PF. Yeah I started to go to gym after a thread I read in the academic guidance part. (No joke)

13. Jan 4, 2012 #12

Evo

Cute animals.

14. Jan 4, 2012 #13

Yes! :!!)

15. Jan 5, 2012 #14

PF has aged me.

16. Jan 5, 2012 #15

Penguins SURF the net.

17. Jan 5, 2012 #16

chiro

Science Advisor

I think the best properties of this forum is that:

a) It has quite a diverse set of members which keeps things interesting
    b) Most of the members here are some of the most helpful and selfless people who are willing to take a few minutes (or more) out of their time to help other people
    c) It is a forum where ideas are presented and for the most part, serious debate is engaged in where we get, again for the most part, thoughtful answers and a great set of ideas that make other reading members think.

To me, one of the important properties of an advanced civilization is one where people engage in debate in a way that allows anyone to make a statement in a way that points of all kinds are considered and scrutinized by everyone else in a fair way.

I don't think we are there yet, but at least physics forums provides an environment where this tolerated and encouraged, and that property alone makes everyone here at PF part of something great.

18. Jan 6, 2012 #17

drizzle

Gold Member

At first, it gave me an ulcer! Don't get me wrong, I was active in P&WA. :biggrin:

I think PF made me become... a milder person. :biggrin:

19. Jan 6, 2012 #18

PF made me start actually caring about learning rather than just trying to get an "A".

20. Jan 6, 2012 #19

It made me realise how dummed down alot of our physics and maths is in school and how much I still have to learn.

It has shown me to evaluate everything and not take it at face value.

21. Sep 7, 2012 #20

I learned that people obsessed with exterminating "crackpots" (both actual crackpots and imagined crackpots) are almost always crackpots themselves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook