How did the book do this integration

In summary, the conversation is about integrating the function (x^2/(x-1)) dx using u substitution. The person was initially stuck, but then successfully integrated the function using u substitution. They are questioning the book's method of splitting the integrand into (x+1) and (1/(x-1)). The expert summarizer explains that the book is simply rewriting the integrand and shows the steps for how they arrived at (x+1) + (1/(x-1)). The person admits their mistake and thanks the expert for clarifying.
kdinser
I'm sure it's pretty simple, but I'm just not seeing it.

Integrate (x^2/(x-1)) dx

I did it with a u substitution, letting u = x-1 and then x = u+1

which ultimately leads me to integrate (u^2/u) + (2u/u) + (1/u)

After canceling, integrating, and substituting I'm left with
(x^2/2) + x + ln(abs)(x-1) + C (I assume I'm alright rolling the -3/2 that I had left over into C to make it match the book answer?)

The book does it like this and I'm not sure what's going on
Integrate (x^2/(x-1)) dx = Integrate (x+1) dx + Integrate (1/(x-1)) dx

I think they are splitting it up somehow, hence the 1/x-1, but I'm not sure how they got to x+1

which yields the same answer I had.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]x^2=x^2-1+1=(x+1)(x-1)+1[/tex]

All they are doing is rewriting the integrand this way:

[tex]\frac {x^2}{x-1} = \frac {x^2 -1 + 1}{x-1} = \frac {x^2-1}{x-1}+\frac {1}{x-1} = x+1 + \frac {1}{x-1}[/tex]

Bah, I must have been way off my game this morning, thanks.

1. How did the book integrate multiple concepts seamlessly?

The author carefully weaved together different ideas and themes throughout the book, making connections between them and showing their relevance to the overall story. This integration was likely planned and executed through thorough outlining and revisions.

2. Did the book's integration of concepts enhance the overall reading experience?

Yes, the integration of concepts added depth and complexity to the story, making it more engaging and thought-provoking for readers. It also allowed for a more cohesive and well-rounded plot.

3. How did the author balance the integration of concepts with the pacing of the story?

The author likely strategically placed moments of integration within the story, allowing for a natural flow and avoiding overwhelming the reader with too many concepts at once. This balance was likely achieved through careful planning and editing.

4. Were there any challenges in integrating different concepts in the book?

There may have been challenges in finding ways to connect seemingly unrelated ideas and making them fit cohesively within the story. However, this challenge was likely overcome through creative thinking and revisions.

5. How did the book's integration of concepts contribute to its overall message or theme?

The integration of concepts likely helped to reinforce the book's central message or theme, providing multiple perspectives and layers of meaning for readers to explore. This added depth and complexity to the story's overall impact.