Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How did we drink water?

1. Oct 4, 2006 #1
    Humans have been around for 5 million years. Before fire and refrigartors were invented. We used to eat fruits and yes insects. This is our natural diet. Then someone came along and integrated fire and spears into our society.

Fruits,insects, and and snails were easy to comeby and catch. My question is, how did we drink water? Yes you can bend over in a creek or pond and get it, but this is a very ineffecient way being that you bend over. That and you lose alot of water in your hands. So then this idea comes up. Is there enough water in fruits for us to drink to get our daily intake of water? In other words could we get 8 glasses of water just by eating fruits?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2
    Im assuming that you would get sick of those fruits or maybe run out. How is it inefficient though? The water lands back in the infinite pool of water (the stream). That, or you can use a leaf or something to drink it....

I dont understand your question/problem...

4. Oct 4, 2006 #3

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even if something is inefficient, it can still be sufficient.Anyway, our hands aren't all that inefficient at cupping water. Works for me.
    Obviously, enough water was consumed...otherwise humans would have gone extinct.

Anyway, the 8-glasses a day recommendation was meant to include water obtained from food. http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

And FWIW, some people still eat fruits, insects, and snails.
    ...only fruits for me :)

5. Oct 4, 2006 #4

I want to know how people got water millions of years ago.

6. Oct 4, 2006 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Don't forget that there were plenty of objects that could readily hold water, leaves were mentioned, shells, skins, skulls, hollowed out gourds, just to stay extremely basic.

7. Oct 4, 2006 #6

Ba

Who needs your hands, sometimes when I'm hiking I'll just lean down over the creek and take a drink.

8. Oct 4, 2006 #7

turbo

Gold Member

That is not without its risks. Here in Maine, many people get sick each year from giardia (beaver fever), by drinking from cold free-running streams, and it's not that pleasant.

9. Oct 4, 2006 #8

This before knowledge, there are no tools. We are basically just like the rest of the animal kingdom.

And like I said, it's to hard bending over. If you're short and small that's not so much of a proble. But if you're 6'2" and heavy like me that's not such a good option. Sure dogs and deer can do it but there not as high up off the ground. That and they've got their forelegs to support them. Besides if I'm already bent over I wouldn't want to use my arms to get water. Then you're got the losing the water betwenn your fingers problem.

10. Oct 4, 2006 #9
    Umm, if you kneel down, you can then bend over and get a quick drink in. Also, Im sure if you give an ancient human a coconut shell, they will sooner or later figure out to use it to get water (actually maybe)...

Also, people weren't as tell back then, at all, and lived short lives.

EDIT: You lose water between your fingers? Howcome this doesn't happen to me?

11. Oct 4, 2006 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Other animals use tools. Why not humans 5 million years ago?

12. Oct 4, 2006 #11
    Tools are a man made way that 's technology. How would we do it naturally?

13. Oct 4, 2006 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I still don't know what the problem is with just kneeling down by the water and drinking? Or crouching. Why would you only try bending at the waist if you have knees that bend too? Even 4-legged animals will kneel on their front legs to reach water in a stream if they can't reach it just by bending their head down. Inefficiency isn't really much of an issue. If all you're doing is eating and drinking, it's not like you can't take an extra couple seconds to bend down. How much more efficient is it for dogs to lap up their water with their tongues? They aren't dehydrating left and right because of it.

Evo also already gave you other options, such as drinking water collected in leaves or shells.

And, no, turbo, it's not without risks, but sanitation is a relatively modern thing.

14. Oct 4, 2006 #13

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I were a primitive man I would want to be very cautious around water as that is a gathering point for predators of all sorts. I would tend to keep low to the ground creeping and crawling to minimize exposure. Once at the water, if it were deep enough I would, like as not shove my whole head in (assuming on alligators!) . I do not believe that primitive man was concerned with cleanliness or manners, any way they could get water into their mouth would do the job.

As a teenager I spend a lot of time in the Oregon Cascade mountains hiking and camping. We never hesitated to drink directly from the mountain steams, sometimes just a few hundred feet from the glacier which started it all. Now it is my understanding that the Giardia (sp) mentioned by Turbo-1 has infested all of the streams and it is no longer safe to drink unfiltered stream water. :mad:

15. Oct 5, 2006 #14

It's easier for 4 legged animals cause the can lean on their forelegs. And they're generally shorter.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  16. Oct 5, 2006 #15

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

we have it easy compared to giraffes :)

17. Oct 5, 2006 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was just going to mention that.. how does a giraffe drink water according to Line, with a straw? And what's so wrong with primitive humans drinking from a creek, you expect them to have had a trunk like elephants?

18. Oct 5, 2006 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Line:
    Do you think chimps drink water?

19. Oct 5, 2006 #18

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, how did early humans survive if the things they had to do to survive were so inefficient that they had to spend all day doing them? Oh, wait - that's exactly how they survived!

20. Oct 5, 2006 #19

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Actually, adults in hunter/gatherer societies had a workload of about 20-25 hours a week on the average.

21. Oct 5, 2006 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Really?10chars

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?