How did we get ahead of light?

• Thread starter imisscarl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of looking back in time when observing distant stars and the limitations of seeing the Big Bang. The first question asks about the expansion of the universe and how it affects our view of distant stars. The response explains that the light we receive from these stars is time-delayed due to the expansion of the universe. The second question wonders why we can't see the Big Bang itself if we can see objects that are only 100 million years post-Bang. The response clarifies that the surface of last scattering is opaque to photons, but other methods such as using neutrino telescopes or gravity waves are being explored. The conversation concludes with a welcoming message and an invitation to seek answers from genuine scientists.
imisscarl
Hello all.

I'm no scientist, I just love reading about astronomy and watching Cosmos repeatedly, so please excuse me if the answer is super-obvious and known to everyone. I completely fail at math, so if anyone who answers could do it in plain english it would be GREATLY appreciated, equations will be utterly wasted on me I'm afraid.

I understand that when we look out into space, the view we have of stars gets older in relation to how far away they are due to the speed of light and the enormous distances it must travel.. some light we see is only a few dozen years old, some (not with the naked eye obviously) is billions of years old.

So my question is actually two-fold:

1: How can we see so far back? Did the Universe not expand equally fast at all points, and if so why not.. all points would face the same zero friction so they should all expand equally, right? How did we get ahead of the light we observe when we look very far out (or out at all for that matter)? Shouldn't the Galaxies basically form a bubble.. expanded from the Bang? Carl explained it as being a peculiarity of the 4th dimension / curvature of space.. that everyones viewpoint will be the same.. no matter where you are it will appear as if you're the center of reality and everything is rushing away from you.. but I just don't get it :T

2: Since we can look so far out / back, why can't we see the Bang itself? A new video was released recently showing a view of only 100 million years post-Bang (iirc). If we're that close.. why can't we see the Bang, wouldn't it just be a matter of looking a little further in that same direction and correcting our aim as info we receive gets newer instead of older, like homing in on a target?

Thanks for your time.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
1. We never really got 'ahead' of the light from the early universe. What we have, due in part to inflation and expansion, is a time delayed view of the early universe. The light we receive from the surface of last scattering [the CMB], is at a redshift of z~1100. When originally emitted, those photons were about as bright those emitted by an ordinary light bulb [around 3000 degrees kelvin]. Because we rushed away in such haste, they have been stretched out to near invisibility [2.7 kelvin]. And Dr. Sagan is correct, every observer in the universe thinks it is at the center - and they are correct. Every observer in the universe is at the center - and the furthest edge of the universe. The only centers and edges of our universe are temporal in nature, not spatial. The center lays in every direction 13.7 billion light years [observationally] from here. The edge lays zero light years distant at a point on the observers' retina. It takes a paradigm shift to think of the center as a boundary and its edge as a point, but, that is how the universe rolls.

2. The surface of last scattering [CMB] is opaque to photons, hence we will never observe photons emitted before around 380,000 years after the big event. Neutrinos and gravity waves are not EM particles hence either could be used to peer back virtually to the big bang. Neutrino 'telescopes' are highly impractical at present. Gravity 'telescopes' are, however, in play. We currently have LIGO up and running [re: http://media.caltech.edu/press_releases/13286] and LISA in the works. Both projects are discussed on the NASA web site.

BTW, welcome to PF! Aren't you glad you didn't just settle for a woowoo.com answer? We have a number of genuine scientists who hang out here and will cheerfully correct any errors on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How did scientists discover that light travels at a finite speed?

Scientists first began to suspect that light had a finite speed in the 1600s when Danish astronomer Ole Rømer observed that the timing of Jupiter's moons appeared to change depending on Earth's position in its orbit around the sun. Later, in the 1700s, experiments by Italian scientist Galileo Galilei and Danish physicist Christiaan Huygens further supported the idea that light had a finite speed.

2. What is the speed of light and how is it measured?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It is measured using a variety of methods, including the use of lasers and mirrors, which allow scientists to accurately measure the time it takes for light to travel a specific distance.

3. How did scientists determine that the speed of light is a constant?

In the late 1800s, physicist Albert Michelson and chemist Edward Morley conducted an experiment, known as the Michelson-Morley experiment, to measure the speed of light in different directions. The results showed that the speed of light was the same in all directions, regardless of the motion of the Earth. This led to the development of Einstein's theory of relativity, which explains the constant speed of light as a fundamental property of the universe.

4. How does the speed of light compare to other speeds in the universe?

The speed of light is incredibly fast and is considered the fastest speed in the universe. It is approximately 670 million miles per hour, which is about 1 billion times faster than the speed of sound. However, in the vast expanse of the universe, there are still phenomena that are even faster than the speed of light, such as the expansion of the universe.

5. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass would become infinite and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further. This makes it physically impossible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light.