How did y'all find Physicsforums?

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary, a black van pulled up next to the protagonist and kidnapped them, tying them up and blindfolding them. They were brought to a site where they found a forum for physicists and mathematicians. They were able to find their way out after some time and are now looking for their mother.
The Smoking Man said:
Must be the drugs then because I have never mellowed in all my 48 teentsy years. That an I have your keyboard wired to a Woody Allen 'Sleeper' Orgazmatron.
I knew you were pure evil from your first post. :devil:

What ... become an informant!? Pah!

We are the Chinese Underground.

We will alwys be 'infiltraitors' here ... well at least until the mine collapses.
I can only imagine what you are up to there. I have risqué pictures of my dog I could send you. Think about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I have risqué pictures of my dog I could send you. Think about it.
Any with a Sauce Chasseur or a Hollandaise? :eek:

The Smoking Man said:
Any with a Sauce Chasseur or a Hollandaise? :eek:
Bearnaise, he goes well with tarragon.

Evo said:
Who's Bearnaise and why are you worrying about seasoning him?! :bugeye:

*grabs garlicky hummus*...I need more garlic to protect me from the vampires around here!

Evo said:
Wanna swap recepies?
STIR-FRIED DOG (Nan tsao go zo) / CHINA

Eviscerate and clean a puppy. Remove the hair by singeing in a rice-straw fire; continue this heat treatment until the skin is golden brown. Cut the meat into cubes and dry-fry them in a wok. Add oil, ginger, garlic, and dried, salted black beans to another wok and stir-fry for 10 minutes. Add the meat, soy sauce, green onions, and deep-fried bean curd. Stir momentarily.

The Smoking Man said:
Wanna swap recepies?
:cry:

Evo said:
:cry:
They didn't call them Chow for nothin'. :wink:

TheStatutoryApe said:
They didn't call them Chow for nothin'. :wink:
Once again, we really could use that <groan> smiley. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Once again, we really could use that <groan> smiley. :rolleyes:
Don't worry. When I hit the send button I could already hear the collective groan of the entire internet. :tongue:

Evo said:
Yep, GD is the flypaper of PF. :biggrin:
Yes, flies are generally found hovering about the trash-bins..

Last edited:
Am I the only one that doesn't remember? I have no clue how I found this place. All I know is that I started out mostly answering questions in Biology, then got hooked by some of the consciousness discussions in the philosophy section. Even though it isn't a topic of great interest to me, I found it pretty fascinating once you get past the relatively lax moderation. I didn't realize people could be so dedicated to such a narrow topic.

Like everyone else, I eventually got sucked into GD. I don't really remember how that happened, either. I suppose in one of my more "frustrated with politics" moments I decided to check out the forum that P&WA was attached to.

I found PF under a rock on the coast of Chile in 1959. I was a lad of 37, and had picked the rock up to fling at an aggressive seal who was chewing on my zodiac. I noticed something written on the underside of the rock, and upon closer inspection found it said: "What is energy?"

I retired to a sheltered spot upshore to think bout it, and when the anser came to me I went back to write it on the rock. However, all I found was a message scratched in the sand: "moved". It took me till 2003 to find it again.

hehe, mine (when i was quantum prodegy) was on last x-mas day. It has a bit of background you need to know before I tell the story. So I go to a private school in Ottawa Canada, and since my parents are spending so much money to get me a good education for high school (the public school board in Ottawa is pretty sad) they put a ton of pressure on me to get really good grades.
Our school also posts our report cards on the schools website which the parents have accounts on so that they can log in and see the report cards. Our school also isn't semestered, so we have all classes all year and exams in all of them december and june. So now you know the background to my story.
It was christmas day, and although I had previously logged on to my parents school account and checked my report card, they hadn't. And it happened to be christmas day when they remembered to. (woohoo) So they did, and were very dissapointed that my gr 11 first term avg was 85 after being 89 in grade 10. Also my sciences weren't in the 90's so they werne't happy. So my dad told me I should find resources online to get ahead so that I could do better. So I went browsing google and this amazing site called physics forums popped up. And well, as others have said the amazing quality of these forums has kept me here. And it helped too...my physics mark went up to a 93 the next term. (Thanks everyone) then something went wrong with my account (i think i forgot my password and had deleted the email account i was using at the time of sign-up) So I made 'rocketboy' and got the admin to delete 'quantum_prodegy' *tear* :cry:

I must have found it through google. I came to resolve some confusion arising from unfamiliar use of symbols in a math book. But I think I'll adopt zooby's story from now on.
Though I'd visited GD occasionally, it was the "what was it" thread that sucked me in.

Perhaps someone has a theory on how people here at the forum, once they have entered GD, tend to get sucked in and are unable to return to any of the upper forums for any significant length of time. Is it the gravitational pull here? This probably explains Matt Grime's refusal to post here. I think he may know the dark truth about GD and is careful to avoid getting "sucked in". :biggrin:

Evo said:
Perhaps someone has a theory on how people here at the forum, once they have entered GD, tend to get sucked in and are unable to return to any of the upper forums for any significant length of time. Is it the gravitational pull here? This probably explains Matt Grime's refusal to post here. I think he may know the dark truth about GD and is careful to avoid getting "sucked in". :biggrin:
I do. It is, however, xxx-rated.

arildno said:
I do. It is, however, xxx-rated.
I think the XXX rating is responsible for GD's stickiness. :wink:

After reading Arthur Clarke's "A Slight Case of Sunstroke", I began to ponder what would have happened to referee Nicole Petignat had she called Briana Scurry for coming off her line during PKs of the '99 Women's World Cup. With 100,000 in attendence, and if each was equipped with a one-square-meter mirror, things could have gotten awful warm for poor Nicole.

While trying to find info on the specific heat of the human brain and how fast heat would transfer through Nicole's skull, I stumbled upon the Physics Forum, instead.

I was searching for arguments against a vegetarian or vegan diet when I stumbled across an old PF thread. I went to the homepage and found a lot of interesting forums, so I stayed.

Evo said:
Perhaps someone has a theory on how people here at the forum, once they have entered GD, tend to get sucked in and are unable to return to any of the upper forums for any significant length of time.
Clearly it is due to the sex appeal of the GD Mentor.

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
I think the XXX rating is responsible for GD's stickiness. :wink:
:yuck: Now I think I need a shower.

introduced to me by a former member/mentor of the then mystics forum, been hooked ever since.

Oh, you mean the address isn't just written on the bathroom wall at a Home Depot in Oregon?

Smasherman said:
I was searching for arguments against a vegetarian or vegan diet when I stumbled across an old PF thread. I went to the homepage and found a lot of interesting forums, so I stayed.

I wonder how many people ended up here solely because of the vegetarianism argument. It seemed like there were at least ten people that posted only in that thread.

Moonbear said:
:yuck: Now I think I need a shower.
Showers is a facility in every bath-house, dear..:wink: