How did y'all find Physicsforums?

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary, a black van pulled up next to the protagonist and kidnapped them, tying them up and blindfolding them. They were brought to a site where they found a forum for physicists and mathematicians. They were able to find their way out after some time and are now looking for their mother.
Smurf
I don't really remember how I found it. All I know is it came up in google. Can't remember why/when I was searching.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was brought here after a black van drove up next to me and kidnapped me. They tied me up and gagged and blindfolded me. I ended up here. I want my mommy :cry: :cry: :cry:

I googled for physics forums.Guess what i found.

I googled for engineering forum, I think. Then got trapped, I've not been able to find the exit since.

Brewnog hit me over the head with a heavy object and when I woke up I was here*.

*May not be true. Google may have played a more significant role than stated

I found it entertaining.

all i know was weeks ago i was in a garden reading about Newton :approve: and suddenly an apple fell on my head out o' nowhere. :mad: i picked it up and my girlfrind seized it from me and ate it :devil: . then i think she was sent to this site from the garden. i then ate it myself and came here only for her. o:) i found my self in front of a funny box; thing called coomputtre. introhnet was ther and i read the Newtons book on world wide web(i didnt know how that chapter came there out o' nowhere ) and browsed in gogooel for my G.F. i found her nowhere but got this address. :cry:
gurkha-war-horse

Last edited:
From Dr. Kaku's forum.

Smurf said:
How did y'all fine Physicsforums?
When did Smurf become a Texan?

I came to post a pic for wolram! :blushing:
sounds like a line from dirty dancing - "I carried a watermelon, I CARRIED a WATERmelon"

Liked what I saw and decided to stay and chat a while

and decided I might learn how to spell decided :blushing: (only took me 4 attempts to type that!)

Weeks and week of thrashing through overgrown derilict sites, i was just about
to give up the search when, PFs poped up on my screen.

greg or somebody at UW-Milwaukee but little flyers everywhere about it. I was going to school there at the time majoring in physics- so I decided to check it out. A great use of some advertising in my mind anyways.

I think I was googling for "physics forums" also, needed help with stuff :redface:.

Dr. Kaku's forum

I just waited and let Ivan find it for me. I knew he'd find the right one. :approve:

Yahoo (I had a streange period when I rellay lked that place?).

I was searching for information on string theory, and this was the best of the links, started looking around and got hooked.

Another member recommended it.

I started off in the Engineering, Mathematics, Physics and Homework forums.

Somehow I ended up in GD. :rolleyes:

I got an email from Greg very early in PF 2.0. Must have been in 2001 or 2002.

I think he was manually going through emails of Usenet sci.physics and inviting people.

I searched google for a physics forum and guess what? the 1st result was physicsforums.com

I was googling for the proof of some number theory theorem and one of the first results was a thread on the topic.

I had participated in a number of other forums - mainstream stuff, no fringe topics in most cases - but the lack of moderation made them practically useless. Another forum just disappeared [anyone remember Deja?] PF was the first and only immediate post [no moderation queue] forum that I found that allowed for reasonable discussions without flamers taking over the place - the difference being Greg's philosophy and the excellent staff of mentors. I was then amazed to find a very naive view of UFOs expressed in the S&D forum debates, which ticked me off and got me started on that path. [edit: and the fact that I could debate these issues withoug getting flamed] But in the very beginning it was the physics and philosophy that brought me in. Also, my first post received a response from a European member within about a couple of minutes, which absolutely blew me away. I was used to threads proceeding at a rate of a few posts per day; not several or many posts per hour!

Last edited:
I googled on "physics forums" because I was interested in seeing how the Internet could work in transmitting knowledge of physics and maths to te general public.
I was pleasantly surprised with this site; later on, I've seen that I was very lucky in stumbling over this site first, rather than any of the crackpot-dominated forums.

once again, my post was deleted... EVO?! :grumpy:

I was struggling with my revision back in April and need some help, so google search for "A Physics Forum" and the rest is history!

Last edited:
I found my way here through a link posted on UK Weather World, absoluteley fascinating and enlightning forum. Now spend even less time doing what I should be! :devil: but thoroughly enjoying it.
Regards

yomamma said:
once again, my post was deleted... EVO?! :grumpy:
It wasn't me! I do see a mentor did an edit here today, but oddly, it doesn't show that they did anything. You're cursed yomamma.

I really cannot remember...Was there anything before PF? Did life exist? I thought this was forever?

I was looking for information on the Van Allen Belt to check up on claims from the Moon Hoax people. Through Google I found a thread here in Skepticism & Debunking that was rather informative and gave links to some good sources. I lurked in S&D and the Kaku forums for a while. Then I found GD and became addicted.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I was looking for information on the Van Allen Belt to check up on claims from the Moon Hoax people. Through Google I found a thread here in Skepticism & Debunking that was rather informative and gave links to some good sources. I lurked in S&D and the Kaku forums for a while. Then I found GD and became addicted.
Yep, GD is the flypaper of PF. :biggrin:

I was sent as a form of Karma to plague Evo.

The other three horsemen are on their way. :devil:

Actually, I was referred by someone else who's language skills are not up to snuff in English but who wanted wome of the more 'right wing' elements in GD to know about a more moderate view.

And NO neither one of us is 'Liberal' ... we make too much money to think about voting for social programs.

I think the way he put it was 'intelligent rednecks' ... which to me seems a tad harsh.

Hey, we support China ... You can't get more right wing than Fascism ... Unless you're a Necon Fundamentalist. :rolleyes:

The Smoking Man said:
I was sent as a form of Karma to plague Evo

The other three horsemen are on their way. :devil:.
I knew it. :grumpy: One of us must be mellowing out though because I've found myself agreeing to some of the things you say and maintaining a reasonable blood pressure level with those I don't. (or maybe the drugs are finally beginning to kick in)

Actually, I was referred by someone else who's language skills are not up to snuff in English but who wanted wome of the more 'right wing' elements in GD to know about a more moderate view.
Oh, PLEASE tell me who this person is. I have money ok I'm lying and I know people here on PF that couldn't hurt a fly so you'd better turn them in. :devil:

Well, it's been a while, but I found my way over here through a link from one of those sites that's filled with crackpots and mostly off-topic banter and spam. I think it was someone complaining about the excessive moderation and their threads being locked over here that caught my attention that there might be some intelligent life over here, or at least someone keeping the spam to a minimum. :biggrin: I first wound up over in the relativity part of the site, and didn't realize there was so much more, so my first impression was "WOOOOSH!" that it really was real serious physics, and completely over my head! I don't remember why I ended up returning, probably one of those days I was just surfing the net and things were slow at all my usual haunts, but on my return, I discovered the forum main page and realized there was a LOT more than just that first part I landed on. I lurked for a little while until some topics came up that I just couldn't help but speak up about, and I haven't shut up since! :biggrin:

Now, will someone unchain me from the computer please? Really, I'm not going away, I promise. :tongue2:

thru Dr. Kaku's site. When I got here a year ago and I thought to myself "Wow, these people are really intelligent. Maybe I'll read some posts and possibly gain knowledge myself". And that's how it started.

Evo said:
I knew it. :grumpy: One of us must be mellowing out though because I've found myself agreeing to some of the things you say and maintaining a reasonable blood pressure level with those I don't. (or maybe the drugs are finally beginning to kick in)
Must be the drugs then because I have never mellowed in all my 48 teentsy years. That an I have your keyboard wired to a Woody Allen 'Sleeper' Orgazmatron.

Evo said:
Oh, PLEASE tell me who this person is. I have money ok I'm lying and I know people here on PF that couldn't hurt a fly so you'd better turn them in. :devil:
What ... become an informant!? Pah!

We are the Chinese Underground.

We will alwys be 'infiltraitors' here ... well at least until the mine collapses.

Last edited: