Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How did you meet your wife/fiance?

1. Oct 5, 2012 #1
    I'm a young, loveless romantic!

Searching for someone is taxing, but hearing candid love stories from intellectuals might give me hope.

Let's hear yours :).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I met my first husband at a nightclub. He was perfect for me, I should not have divorced him.

I met my second husband, also now an ex, at my office, he was a client that my co-workers insisted I go out with.

4. Oct 5, 2012 #3
    Why did you?

5. Oct 5, 2012 #4

Evo

Same stupid friends that told me to marry my second husband. They wanted someone that they deemed "worthy" of me. :rolleyes:

They're no longer my friends, and I am much wiser.

6. Oct 6, 2012 #5

jtbell

I met my wife soon after I arrived at the college where we both work. One of my colleagues in the physics department was showing me around campus, and took me to the room in the administration building where (at that time) all faculty had their mail boxes. She happened to be there, and my colleague introduced us. It turned out that we lived in the same apartment building (owned by the college), with one apartment separating us. About a year later, we started dating regularly. A year and a half after that, we got married. That was 24 years ago, and we're still "stuck" together.

7. Oct 6, 2012 #6
    Yours is certainly more inspiring than Evo's ;P.

8. Oct 6, 2012 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I met my wife after having dated her sister (one night only! That was plenty). Luckily my wife was a very different person, and we got along well. We have been married since 1975, and I think I might keep her.

9. Oct 6, 2012 #8

Drakkith

Hmmm. Keeping a woman is a big responsibility that involves much more than a cage and a water drip. Proper feeding, grooming, and personal involvement in their lives is key! Oh, remember not to feed them from your hand, some tend to bite!

But seriously, that's nice to hear. 37 years of marriage is longer than a lot of people have managed.

10. Oct 6, 2012 #9
    I posted this in another thread a few years back. That thread is locked so I can't quote it. For those who don't already know, my wife is Taiwanese.

We met in Tokyo at a Japanese language school. I was taking a beginner course and she an intermediate. My teacher was a bump on a log and I wasn't learning anything, so I decided to quit the school and find another at the end of the month. One day the teacher called in sick and the office told us that there was no other beginner course so we should all go home. However there was an intermediate course and if we wanted, we could sit in on it. I did and found that with effort I could keep up. That's how I met my wife. We dated/hung out together speaking the most horrendous Japanese to each other. I not only liked being with her, but I appreciated the chance to learn Japanese with someone who couldn't speak English. Or so I thought. I found work in Japan and left the school. She left the school and went back to Taiwan. I went to visit her there and proposed to her. At that point I found out that she speaks English quite well and in fact had been an English major at University.

11. Oct 6, 2012 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love that story, it's so sweet :!!)

12. Oct 6, 2012 #11
    Hahaha, that's beautiful!

13. Oct 6, 2012 #12

MarneMath

Education Advisor

At a library, near the base I was stationed at. She had these stacks of books her table for a research paper she was reading. I'm not usually an outgoing guy, but I had nothing else going on that day, so I sat down and started talking to her about what she studied. Turns out we had a lot of the same interest, same humor, and overall she was pretty cool gal. Then I walked away without asking for her number.

Regretted it until I ran into her a few months later :). Didn't make the same mistake.

14. Oct 7, 2012 #13

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

When I met my current girlfriend, I liked her immediately cause we had a lot in common. Although, there are some differences. For example, I exist and she doesn't.

15. Oct 7, 2012 #14

Borek

What is so sweet about the fact two adult people require several weeks or months to find out they both speak English? :surprised

16. Oct 11, 2012 #15
    I was a first-year grad student and she was a medical student doing research at my university and happened to get the desk right next to me. I thought I was being "hardcore" by not dating while I still had classes and excluding anyone I worked with as a possible mate. It took her a couple of months to convince me otherwise, and we dated for four years before getting married. We now have son and are planning on another and are incredibly happy.

The moral: Don't exclude anyone and don't make hard and fast "rules". Play everything as it come to you.

17. Oct 12, 2012 #16

Borek

Another fine example of who really rules the world.

18. Oct 12, 2012 #17

Drakkith

My wife's a photon. Every time I see her I lose her again.

19. Oct 12, 2012 #18

hotvette

Homework Helper

I met my wife at the Bridge-To-Bridge run in San Francisco. I went with a group of friends. One of my friends had been her college freshman roommate and invited her to join us. I was intrigued and made it a point to sit next to her at a post-race group brunch.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  20. Oct 13, 2012 #19

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I met my wife at the company I worked at the time. We worked in related software groups - she wrote the software that used the output of mine. Her software also interfaced to an IBM product that provided similar features to my software. She didn't realize it, but when she said my software was easier to use and worked better than IBM's, that was the ultimate come on. We got along as well as our software, and are together 25 years later. Can anyone out-geek that?

(One funny bit: when I first called to ask her on a date, I hadn't asked for her number or anything - though there was plenty of good chemistry at work. She says: "I didn't give you my number". I say "well, a number isn't very hard to find; yes or no?" Obviously it was "yes".)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  21. Mar 6, 2013 #20

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I met my first ex-wife at a writing workshop. Met my second ex-wife in grad school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook