How did you meet your wife/fiance?

• Thread starter AJKing
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around people sharing how they met their significant others and their experiences with love and relationships. They range from meeting at a nightclub, through mutual friends, at work, and even at a Japanese language school. The conversation also touches on the importance of finding someone who truly understands and appreciates you, and the ups and downs of marriage.
AJKing
I'm a young, loveless romantic!

Searching for someone is taxing, but hearing candid love stories from intellectuals might give me hope.

Let's hear yours :).

Physics news on Phys.org
I met my first husband at a nightclub. He was perfect for me, I should not have divorced him.

I met my second husband, also now an ex, at my office, he was a client that my co-workers insisted I go out with.

Likes zachery
Evo said:
(...) He was perfect for me, I should not have divorced him. (...)

Why did you?

AJKing said:
Why did you?
Same stupid friends that told me to marry my second husband. They wanted someone that they deemed "worthy" of me. :rolleyes:

They're no longer my friends, and I am much wiser.

I met my wife soon after I arrived at the college where we both work. One of my colleagues in the physics department was showing me around campus, and took me to the room in the administration building where (at that time) all faculty had their mail boxes. She happened to be there, and my colleague introduced us. It turned out that we lived in the same apartment building (owned by the college), with one apartment separating us. About a year later, we started dating regularly. A year and a half after that, we got married. That was 24 years ago, and we're still "stuck" together.

jtbell said:
I met my wife soon after I arrived at the college where we both work. One of my colleagues in the physics department was showing me around campus, and took me to the room in the administration building where (at that time) all faculty had their mail boxes. She happened to be there, and my colleague introduced us. It turned out that we lived in the same apartment building (owned by the college), with one apartment separating us. About a year later, we started dating regularly. A year and a half after that, we got married. That was 24 years ago, and we're still "stuck" together.

Yours is certainly more inspiring than Evo's ;P.

I met my wife after having dated her sister (one night only! That was plenty). Luckily my wife was a very different person, and we got along well. We have been married since 1975, and I think I might keep her.

turbo said:
We have been married since 1975, and I think I might keep her.

Hmmm. Keeping a woman is a big responsibility that involves much more than a cage and a water drip. Proper feeding, grooming, and personal involvement in their lives is key! Oh, remember not to feed them from your hand, some tend to bite!

But seriously, that's nice to hear. 37 years of marriage is longer than a lot of people have managed.

I posted this in another thread a few years back. That thread is locked so I can't quote it. For those who don't already know, my wife is Taiwanese.

We met in Tokyo at a Japanese language school. I was taking a beginner course and she an intermediate. My teacher was a bump on a log and I wasn't learning anything, so I decided to quit the school and find another at the end of the month. One day the teacher called in sick and the office told us that there was no other beginner course so we should all go home. However there was an intermediate course and if we wanted, we could sit in on it. I did and found that with effort I could keep up. That's how I met my wife. We dated/hung out together speaking the most horrendous Japanese to each other. I not only liked being with her, but I appreciated the chance to learn Japanese with someone who couldn't speak English. Or so I thought. I found work in Japan and left the school. She left the school and went back to Taiwan. I went to visit her there and proposed to her. At that point I found out that she speaks English quite well and in fact had been an English major at University.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I posted this in another thread a few years back. That thread is locked so I can't quote it. For those who don't already know, my wife is Taiwanese.

We met in Tokyo at a Japanese language school. I was taking a beginner course and she an intermediate. My teacher was a bump on a log and I wasn't learning anything, so I decided to quit the school and find another at the end of the month. One day the teacher called in sick and the office told us that there was no other beginner course so we should all go home. However there was an intermediate course and if we wanted, we could sit in on it. I did and found that with effort I could keep up. That's how I met my wife. We dated/hung out together speaking the most horrendous Japanese to each other. I not only liked being with her, but I appreciated the chance to learn Japanese with someone who couldn't speak English. Or so I thought. I found work in Japan and left the school. She left the school and went back to Taiwan. I went to visit her there and proposed to her. At that point I found out that she speaks English quite well and in fact had been an English major at University.

I love that story, it's so sweet :!)

Jimmy Snyder said:

Hahaha, that's beautiful!

At a library, near the base I was stationed at. She had these stacks of books her table for a research paper she was reading. I'm not usually an outgoing guy, but I had nothing else going on that day, so I sat down and started talking to her about what she studied. Turns out we had a lot of the same interest, same humor, and overall she was pretty cool gal. Then I walked away without asking for her number.

Regretted it until I ran into her a few months later :). Didn't make the same mistake.

When I met my current girlfriend, I liked her immediately cause we had a lot in common. Although, there are some differences. For example, I exist and she doesn't.

What is so sweet about the fact two adult people require several weeks or months to find out they both speak English?

I was a first-year grad student and she was a medical student doing research at my university and happened to get the desk right next to me. I thought I was being "hardcore" by not dating while I still had classes and excluding anyone I worked with as a possible mate. It took her a couple of months to convince me otherwise, and we dated for four years before getting married. We now have son and are planning on another and are incredibly happy.

The moral: Don't exclude anyone and don't make hard and fast "rules". Play everything as it come to you.

Einstein Mcfly said:
I was a first-year grad student and she was a medical student doing research at my university and happened to get the desk right next to me. I thought I was being "hardcore" by not dating while I still had classes and excluding anyone I worked with as a possible mate. It took her a couple of months to convince me otherwise, and we dated for four years before getting married. We now have son and are planning on another and are incredibly happy.

Another fine example of who really rules the world.

My wife's a photon. Every time I see her I lose her again.

I met my wife at the Bridge-To-Bridge run in San Francisco. I went with a group of friends. One of my friends had been her college freshman roommate and invited her to join us. I was intrigued and made it a point to sit next to her at a post-race group brunch.

Last edited:
I met my wife at the company I worked at the time. We worked in related software groups - she wrote the software that used the output of mine. Her software also interfaced to an IBM product that provided similar features to my software. She didn't realize it, but when she said my software was easier to use and worked better than IBM's, that was the ultimate come on. We got along as well as our software, and are together 25 years later. Can anyone out-geek that?

(One funny bit: when I first called to ask her on a date, I hadn't asked for her number or anything - though there was plenty of good chemistry at work. She says: "I didn't give you my number". I say "well, a number isn't very hard to find; yes or no?" Obviously it was "yes".)

Last edited:
I met my first ex-wife at a writing workshop. Met my second ex-wife in grad school.

Number one at a college dance...
Number two a blind date...
Number three at the library, after twenty years it looks like we have "a take".

Guess I'm just a slow learner.
Thinking about writing a country-western song:
"Can't go to heaven, I've got too many mother-in-laws there."

I met my wife at, of all places, a Science Fiction convention. we were both with friends who had separately arranged to meet at the convention. Not much later, our friends became a couple and we ended up hanging out as a group quite a bit. It turned out that we had a fair amount in common and got along well, so after some months, we started seeing each other outside of the group. We got married a little over a year later.

turbo said:
I met my wife after having dated her sister (one night only! That was plenty). Luckily my wife was a very different person, and we got along well. We have been married since 1975, and I think I might keep her.

So how exactly did this work? Were you straight to the point?

Her: "I had a lovely time! When will I see you again?"

You: "Do you have a sister?"

You: "Is she hot?"

You: "Do you think she might like to go on a date?"

(I'm kinding of assuming she'd be speechless after your first question.)

micromass said:
When I met my current girlfriend, I liked her immediately cause we had a lot in common. Although, there are some differences. For example, I exist and she doesn't.

Lucky you! My imaginary girlfriend dumped me for a football star! :cry:

I met my wife long before we became a couple. I was fresh out of college working in a rather pricey city. I didn't like apartments and I couldn't afford to buy a house, so I rented a room in an old (pre-Civil War) and large (13+ rooms) converted farm house. My wife-to-be rented a room there about a year later. Six months after she moved in, one of our many housemates sicced the housing authorities on the owner after getting into a tiff with him.

The place was condemned, and we were *out*. Four of us, including my wife-to-be, much preferred living as housemates in a big as opposed to being roommates in a small apartment. So we rented another big house. No hanky-panky, just friends. A year later, a large group of young adults, including my wife-to-be, went on a ski vacation. Great skiing except for the last day of skiing! There was a chance of a snowstorm later that day. We decided to stay for one last day of skiing, and leave in the afternoon before the snowstorm hit.

That snowstorm turned out to be a blizzard, and it arrived hours early. The ski area was closed, the roads out were all closed. We (along with many others) were stuck, and we had no place to stay as we had checked out of our chalet that morning. The ski area offered the cafeteria as a place where all of us refugees could stay for the night.

That cafeteria was cold, and the floor was colder. My wife-to-be was warm; I was hot. I was a skinny, active young man with a very high metabolism. I ate 3500 to 4000 calories per day just to maintain what little meat I did have on my skinny bones. I radiated heat. We cuddled to stay warm, and that cuddling was what turned our friendship into the start of a relationship.

I was working in Mexico as a contractor and one weekend all the contractors got together for a picnic. By 4:00 PM when nearly all the men were too drunk to drive, a couple of girls asked, through an interpreter, if I would take them home. They looked a little young so I asked the interpreter to ask them how old they were. They were 21, I was 33.

Our first movie was Gone With the Wind which started at 10:00 PM and let out at 2:00. When I dropped her off at 2:30 her father was waiting for us and furious. The only thing I understood was, “What movie ends at 2:30?!” The fact that he was screaming at the top of his lungs at 2:30 AM on a hot summer night with everybody’s windows open didn’t seem to bother him.

When we got married, I still hadn’t heard her say a complete sentence in English. Her father has since reversed his opinion of me and now he’s my strongest supporter. If I enter a room where he is watching TV, he will offer me his seat. After we got married my wife would lay out my clothes in the morning and still does after 22 years. She even left the toilet seat up.

AJKing said:
but hearing candid love stories from intellectuals might give me hope.

I like to think people in academia are just normal people with a job. I doubt you'll get much more from wife/husband stories from people in academic positions over non-academic positions.

D H said:
I met my wife long before we became a couple.

Love your story :smile:

If anything goes wrong, you can blame the blizzard.

1. How did you and your wife/fiance first meet?

We met in college while studying biology together. We were both in the same lab group and started talking more and more outside of class.

2. Was it love at first sight?

I wouldn't necessarily say it was love at first sight, but I was definitely drawn to her intelligence and sense of humor from the beginning.

3. Did you have any common interests or hobbies that brought you together?

Yes, we both shared a passion for science and nature. We also both enjoyed hiking and trying new restaurants, which gave us plenty of opportunities to spend time together.

4. How long did it take for you to realize you wanted to marry your wife/fiance?

It took a few years of dating and getting to know each other before I knew for sure that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. But I knew pretty early on that she was someone special.

5. What qualities do you admire most about your wife/fiance?

There are so many qualities I admire in my wife/fiance, but if I had to choose a few, I would say her intelligence, kindness, and unwavering support are what I admire most. She challenges me to be a better person every day.