How did you meet your wife/fiance?

• Thread starter AJKing
  • Start date
I was working in Mexico as a contractor and one weekend all the contractors got together for a picnic. By 4:00 PM when nearly all the men were too drunk to drive, a couple of girls asked, through an interpreter, if I would take them home. They looked a little young so I asked the interpreter to ask them how old they were. They were 21, I was 33.

Our first movie was Gone With the Wind which started at 10:00 PM and let out at 2:00. When I dropped her off at 2:30 her father was waiting for us and furious. The only thing I understood was, “What movie ends at 2:30?!” The fact that he was screaming at the top of his lungs at 2:30 AM on a hot summer night with everybody’s windows open didn’t seem to bother him.

When we got married, I still hadn’t heard her say a complete sentence in English. Her father has since reversed his opinion of me and now he’s my strongest supporter. If I enter a room where he is watching TV, he will offer me his seat. After we got married my wife would lay out my clothes in the morning and still does after 22 years. She even left the toilet seat up.

but hearing candid love stories from intellectuals might give me hope.

I like to think people in academia are just normal people with a job. I doubt you'll get much more from wife/husband stories from people in academic positions over non-academic positions.

Borek
Mentor
I met my wife long before we became a couple.

Love your story :smile:

If anything goes wrong, you can blame the blizzard.