How difficult is cutting hair?

In summary, the person has had trouble with getting a decent haircut for a long time and has gone to different places and had different experiences.
qspeechc
Hi Everyone.

The place I have been going to for the past 8 or 10 years to cut my hair closed down, so I went to the barber's around the corner.

Now for as long as I can remember I've always had the same haircut: a number 4 clipper (or whatever the attachment is called) on the electric shaver, all over my head. Sounds pretty simply, but not one barber has ever got it right.

They always leave patches that are longer or shorter than the rest. Honestly, how hard can it be! I don't even ask for a 'fade' or anything at all!

On my recent visit to the new place, I had to make an appointment, which I've never had to do before for a haircut, then I had to wait for 20 minutes before someone gave me a terrible haircut. Somehow the woman managed to cut the one side shorter than the other! What's worse is a bloke came in after I'd been waiting for 10 minutes, said he didn't have an appointment but needed a haircut before his appointment the next hour, and they showed him through and cut his hair before me!

Another thing I can't understand is how some places can charge twice as much as others to give you the same simple haircut. Why is it so difficult to get a decent haircut? Or am I the only person with such problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask for a referral from a friend to avoid such experiences.

I used to the barracks haircutter when I was in the Army. A simple buzz around the head was pretty simple and no one's command sergeant major noticed the difference between my work and the 'real' barbers. I've always had the best experience with the barber shop that really only deal with men, because the only styles they do are buzz, shaved or faded. The price is usually under 10 dollars and my entire haircut time, including wait time, is no more than 15 minutes. :]

My mom cuts my hair so I don't have to worry :)
But yes I have noticed that different barber cuts differently

I never had to deal with a barber in my life. I can cut my hair without a mirror. I use a scissors with my right hand and when I take my hairs with the left hand. I take my hairs with my left hand and I cut all the visible hair escaping the left hand. This produces a very symmetric cut, although the length of the hair is not really adjustable (I guess around 2 cm long) and it does take a lot of time! Especially when dealing in the back of the head. Almost a nightmare if you aren't patient.

:smile: my dad cuts his own hair as well, and does a good job at it.

I bought a hair cutter 15 years ago and have been not to a barber since. Granted, Marzena helps me on the back (although in the case of emergency I can deal with the cut by myself).

Then, my typical haircut is rather simple. 6 mm everywhere. Sometimes I allow myself a little bit of craze - 9 mm, if it is winter, or 3 mm if it is hot.

Monique said:
:smile: my dad cuts his own hair as well, and does a good job at it.

Same here. The thickest guide for my clippers broke, so I wear mine a little shorter now.

If all you're doing is getting it buzzed you should just do it yourself. For the cost of two or three barber trips, you could buy a set of clippers that will last you for years.

I cut my own hair with a #1 all the time.

I've vengefully swapped between two "salons." The term "barber" has gone out of style apparently.

They're two locations within a mile of each other, and anytime I need a haircut it's an emergency. So, when one can't take a walk in, I go to the other out of spite. Both places do a good job, and I end up paying $20 (plus a good tip) at both. One place serves beer while you wait, but the other has a really cute receptionist.

It's hard to decide which is more valuable. A "free" beer is fantastic after work, but talking to a cute girl can be refreshing too.

So, in conclusion... what was this thread about?

qspeechc said:
Another thing I can't understand is how some places can charge twice as much as others to give you the same simple haircut. Why is it so difficult to get a decent haircut? Or am I the only person with such problems?

One word: FLOWBEE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkqx4UXlwl4

I used to go to local barbers until recently. Now I grow my hair out long enough that I cut it myself. Very inexpensive, and I get to change it subtly anytime I want.

Danger said:
Same here. The thickest guide for my clippers broke, so I wear mine a little shorter now.
However, I think that clipping it to millimeters does not equal to a hairdo or "cutting ones hair". Unless there is actually some style in there..

Monique said:
However, I think that clipping it to millimeters does not equal to a hairdo or "cutting ones hair". Unless there is actually some style in there..

I have an imaginatively shaped head, so keeping the hair evenly mowed is actually an artistic statement.

By the bye, how does a stunningly astute linguist such as yourself justify saying that "clipping" one's hair doesn't equate to "cutting" one's hair? I'm pretty sure that those terms are essentially interchangeable unless perhaps in regard to the type of weapon involved. Clipping, snipping, slicing, hacking... they're all forms of cutting.

Incidentally, I remember seeing on some show such as Mike Douglas, back in the 60's or 70's, a demonstration by someone who did hairstyling (real styling, not just cutting) with a blowtorch. I don't think that I'd want to live downwind of her salon.

Last edited:
Monique said:
Ask for a referral from a friend to avoid such experiences.

Actually, I'm pretty lazy (shock, horror), so I'd rather go somewhere nearby to get my hair cut. I'm not going to go to the other side of town because someone suggests the place to me.

MarneMath said:
I've always had the best experience with the barber shop that really only deal with men, because the only styles they do are buzz, shaved or faded. The price is usually under 10 dollars and my entire haircut time, including wait time, is no more than 15 minutes. :]

Maybe that's what I need to do, go to a place that only does men, but I've never seen one!

I've always thought you can't actually cut your own hair, because whenever I've had my hair cut, after using the clipper, they always tidy it up with a pair of scissors. Maybe I just have bad hair that needs to be tamed by clippers AND scissors.

Danger said:
By the bye, how does a stunningly astute linguist such as yourself justify saying that "clipping" one's hair doesn't equate to "cutting" one's hair? I'm pretty sure that those terms are essentially interchangeable unless perhaps in regard to the type of weapon involved. Clipping, snipping, slicing, hacking... they're all forms of cutting.
I don't consider myself a linguist, but evenly mowing hair in my book is trimming. My boyfriend is not allowed to have a mowed head (I think I'll keep that term), it can be done so much better than that.

Is Barbers Hairdressers ?
I like to say "hair-dressers", as like we put on new dresses for our hair, more understandable from the start. When I was young I cut my own hair, now I have it cut once in 1.5 month. The hairdresser guy uses clipper, scissors to trim my hair, I don't ask him to do the washing, oiling. Once I want to shave my head , I use a shaver myself.

Monique said:
My boyfriend is not allowed to have a mowed head

Is that the only restriction? o:)

Actually, I always went to a barber/stylist until about 15 years ago when I got my head shaved for a cancer drive. It was so comfortable, convenient, and cheap to reproduce that I never went back. Also, now that my eczema has infiltrated my scalp, it's a lot easier to treat this way.

Sorry to hear about the eczema, Dangler. My father cuts his own hair, though since he is 87, he is less concerned about cosmetics than cost. He has a shaver with an adjustable head, so that his hair is always under 1/4 inch. My wife has (gently) suggested such an approach, but I want to get back to hair that can be pulled back and tied.

Haircut costs me $2.50 from where I'm from. Number 3. They do a good job every time.

Danger said:
Is that the only restriction? o:)
I don't think it would look good if he died his hair red, so that's off the table as well.

I don't have this problem. Let your hair grow out (take care of it) and only take care of the ends every 4-6 months. It's hard to screw up doing something that simple.

Monique said:
I don't think it would look good if he died his hair red, so that's off the table as well.

Smart-***... :tongue:
You know what I meant.

qspeechc said:
Now for as long as I can remember I've always had the same haircut: a number 4 clipper (or whatever the attachment is called) on the electric shaver, all over my head. Sounds pretty simply, but not one barber has ever got it right.

They always leave patches that are longer or shorter than the rest. Honestly, how hard can it be! I don't even ask for a 'fade' or anything at all!

From the statements here it is obvious that cutting hair is not difficult especially with clippers. People can do it themselves in the mirror or blindly by feel. So why can't a supposedly trained professional with professional tools?

When I have had a simple clipping, half the time I have to cut the straggling patches that they have simply missed. Now I am in the habit of letting my hair grow for a year or more before daring to go to the hairdressers. Then they make such a mess of it that I end up going to three different hairdressers in the same week, each trying to patch up the mess that the last one made until finally I have it all clipped short and start again.

Doesn't it really annoy as a physicist/mathematician or similar that prides themself on self discipline , precision and attention to detail that others live by such a lackadaisical and unprofessional attitude and still expect to get paid for their lack of efforts and incompetence?

SW VandeCarr said:
How difficult is cutting hair? For some, pretty difficult.

http://www.google.com/#output=searc...61,d.cGE&fp=5a6cdb198474ea24&biw=1280&bih=608

Yeah, this looks pretty much like what I got last time:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMMqM-z-kdgujXq2HiTcKUqIvPkYtkdLvcCprnU5HATpyIl__M.jpg

inotyce said:
Is Barbers Hairdressers ?
You might want ask the practitioners. When I first met my barber, I asked her why she wanted to become a hairdresser, and she shot back "I am a barber!" In Maine, you have to become proficient in lots of extra skills to get licensed as a barber, including honing and stropping straight-razors. If somebody is going to hold a straight-razor to my throat, I'd prefer it to be her.

BTW, she is a farm-girl that parks her favorite toy (a Buddy-L dump truck) atop her kitchen cabinets. Pretty down-to-earth.

I recently used a different "salon" too. She left the front too long and when I flip it up (as that is how the font is done) I really look like I walked into a wall. Also, much more hairspray is needed to keep the front held up.

1. How does hair texture affect the difficulty of cutting hair?

Hair texture can play a significant role in the difficulty of cutting hair. Coarse or thick hair may require more effort and precision to cut compared to fine or thin hair. This is because coarse hair tends to be more resistant to scissors and may require multiple passes to achieve a desired length. On the other hand, fine hair can be more delicate and prone to breakage, making it challenging to achieve a precise cut without damaging the hair.

2. Is it more difficult to cut curly hair compared to straight hair?

Yes, cutting curly hair can be more challenging than cutting straight hair. The natural curl pattern of the hair can make it difficult to achieve a straight and even cut. Additionally, curly hair tends to bounce back and shrink after being cut, making it harder to determine the final length. This is why it is essential to have experience and skill in cutting curly hair to achieve a desired result.

3. How does the length of the hair impact the difficulty of cutting?

The length of the hair can affect the difficulty of cutting in a few ways. Longer hair may seem more intimidating to cut, but it can actually be easier to work with since there is more hair to hold onto and manipulate. However, achieving a precise and even cut on longer hair can be more challenging, as small mistakes may be more noticeable. On the other hand, shorter hair can be more challenging to cut, especially if it requires intricate or precise techniques, such as layering.

4. Does the type of haircut requested affect the difficulty of cutting hair?

Yes, the type of haircut requested can impact the difficulty of cutting hair. For example, a simple trim or basic straight cut may be easier to achieve compared to a more complex and detailed haircut, such as a layered or asymmetrical cut. The more layers, angles, and textures involved in a haircut, the more challenging it can be to execute it accurately and precisely.

5. Is cutting your own hair more difficult than cutting someone else's hair?

In most cases, cutting someone else's hair can be more difficult than cutting your own hair. When cutting your own hair, you have a better understanding of your hair's texture, length, and desired style. However, cutting someone else's hair requires taking into account their hair type, length, and desired outcome, which can be more challenging to achieve without prior knowledge and experience with their hair. Additionally, it can be more difficult to maneuver scissors and maintain a steady hand when cutting someone else's hair.