Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How difficult is cutting hair?

1. May 15, 2013 #1
    Hi Everyone.

The place I have been going to for the past 8 or 10 years to cut my hair closed down, so I went to the barber's around the corner.

Now for as long as I can remember I've always had the same haircut: a number 4 clipper (or whatever the attachment is called) on the electric shaver, all over my head. Sounds pretty simply, but not one barber has ever got it right.

They always leave patches that are longer or shorter than the rest. Honestly, how hard can it be! I don't even ask for a 'fade' or anything at all!

On my recent visit to the new place, I had to make an appointment, which I've never had to do before for a haircut, then I had to wait for 20 minutes before someone gave me a terrible haircut. Somehow the woman managed to cut the one side shorter than the other! What's worse is a bloke came in after I'd been waiting for 10 minutes, said he didn't have an appointment but needed a haircut before his appointment the next hour, and they showed him through and cut his hair before me!

Another thing I can't understand is how some places can charge twice as much as others to give you the same simple haircut. Why is it so difficult to get a decent haircut? Or am I the only person with such problems?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2013 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ask for a referral from a friend to avoid such experiences.

4. May 15, 2013 #3

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I used to the barracks haircutter when I was in the Army. A simple buzz around the head was pretty simple and no one's command sergeant major noticed the difference between my work and the 'real' barbers. I've always had the best experience with the barber shop that really only deal with men, because the only styles they do are buzz, shaved or faded. The price is usually under 10 dollars and my entire haircut time, including wait time, is no more than 15 minutes. :]

5. May 15, 2013 #4
    My mom cuts my hair so I don't have to worry :)
    But yes I have noticed that different barber cuts differently

6. May 15, 2013 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

I never had to deal with a barber in my life. I can cut my hair without a mirror. I use a scissors with my right hand and when I take my hairs with the left hand. I take my hairs with my left hand and I cut all the visible hair escaping the left hand. This produces a very symmetric cut, although the length of the hair is not really adjustable (I guess around 2 cm long) and it does take a lot of time! Especially when dealing in the back of the head. Almost a nightmare if you aren't patient.

7. May 15, 2013 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:smile: my dad cuts his own hair as well, and does a good job at it.

8. May 15, 2013 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I bought a hair cutter 15 years ago and have been not to a barber since. Granted, Marzena helps me on the back (although in the case of emergency I can deal with the cut by myself).

Then, my typical haircut is rather simple. 6 mm everywhere. Sometimes I allow myself a little bit of craze - 9 mm, if it is winter, or 3 mm if it is hot.

9. May 15, 2013 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Same here. The thickest guide for my clippers broke, so I wear mine a little shorter now.

10. May 15, 2013 #9
    If all you're doing is getting it buzzed you should just do it yourself. For the cost of two or three barber trips, you could buy a set of clippers that will last you for years.

I cut my own hair with a #1 all the time.

11. May 15, 2013 #10

FlexGunship

Gold Member

I've vengefully swapped between two "salons." The term "barber" has gone out of style apparently.

They're two locations within a mile of each other, and anytime I need a haircut it's an emergency. So, when one can't take a walk in, I go to the other out of spite. Both places do a good job, and I end up paying $20 (plus a good tip) at both. One place serves beer while you wait, but the other has a really cute receptionist.

It's hard to decide which is more valuable. A "free" beer is fantastic after work, but talking to a cute girl can be refreshing too.

So, in conclusion... what was this thread about?

12. May 15, 2013 #11
    One word: FLOWBEE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkqx4UXlwl4

13. May 15, 2013 #12
    I used to go to local barbers until recently. Now I grow my hair out long enough that I cut it myself. Very inexpensive, and I get to change it subtly anytime I want.

14. May 15, 2013 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

However, I think that clipping it to millimeters does not equal to a hairdo or "cutting ones hair". Unless there is actually some style in there..

15. May 15, 2013 #14

Danger

Gold Member

I have an imaginatively shaped head, so keeping the hair evenly mowed is actually an artistic statement.

By the bye, how does a stunningly astute linguist such as yourself justify saying that "clipping" one's hair doesn't equate to "cutting" one's hair? I'm pretty sure that those terms are essentially interchangeable unless perhaps in regard to the type of weapon involved. Clipping, snipping, slicing, hacking... they're all forms of cutting.

Incidentally, I remember seeing on some show such as Mike Douglas, back in the 60's or 70's, a demonstration by someone who did hairstyling (real styling, not just cutting) with a blowtorch. I don't think that I'd want to live downwind of her salon.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  16. May 16, 2013 #15
    Actually, I'm pretty lazy (shock, horror), so I'd rather go somewhere nearby to get my hair cut. I'm not going to go to the other side of town because someone suggests the place to me.

Maybe that's what I need to do, go to a place that only does men, but I've never seen one!

I've always thought you can't actually cut your own hair, because whenever I've had my hair cut, after using the clipper, they always tidy it up with a pair of scissors. Maybe I just have bad hair that needs to be tamed by clippers AND scissors.

17. May 16, 2013 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't consider myself a linguist, but evenly mowing hair in my book is trimming. My boyfriend is not allowed to have a mowed head (I think I'll keep that term), it can be done so much better than that.

18. May 16, 2013 #17
    Is Barbers Hairdressers ?
    I like to say "hair-dressers", as like we put on new dresses for our hair, more understandable from the start. When I was young I cut my own hair, now I have it cut once in 1.5 month. The hairdresser guy uses clipper, scissors to trim my hair, I don't ask him to do the washing, oiling. Once I want to shave my head , I use a shaver myself.

19. May 16, 2013 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Is that the only restriction? o:)

Actually, I always went to a barber/stylist until about 15 years ago when I got my head shaved for a cancer drive. It was so comfortable, convenient, and cheap to reproduce that I never went back. Also, now that my eczema has infiltrated my scalp, it's a lot easier to treat this way.

20. May 16, 2013 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Sorry to hear about the eczema, Dangler. My father cuts his own hair, though since he is 87, he is less concerned about cosmetics than cost. He has a shaver with an adjustable head, so that his hair is always under 1/4 inch. My wife has (gently) suggested such an approach, but I want to get back to hair that can be pulled back and tied.

21. May 17, 2013 #20
    Haircut costs me $2.50 from where I'm from. Number 3. They do a good job every time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook