How Do Diodes Work? An Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of diodes and how they work in a circuit. It is recommended to have a clear understanding of the V-I plot and the diode equation when working with diodes. The conversation also brings up the question of whether there was a vacuum tube version of a zener diode, which is answered by using a search engine to find relevant information. One website suggests a way to use tubes as a zener diode.
esmeco
I do not know much about diodes and I wanted to know if someone could explain me how do semi conductor diodes work and how do we determine in a circuit(dc and ac) the input voltage and the output voltage...

Engineering news on Phys.org
The wikipedia entry for diodes is pretty good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode

It's important to have the V-I plot of a diode in your head when you are working on problems that include diodes. You should learn the diode equation

[tex]I = I_s (e^{\frac{qV}{kT}} -1)[/tex]

and learn about the reverse breakdown characteristic (used in Zener diodes, for example).

Was there a vacuum tube version of a zener diode?

wolram said:
Was there a vacuum tube version of a zener diode?
Interesting question. So I googled +"vacuum tube" +"zener diode" and got some hits. Go to this one for example:

http://members.aol.com/sbench101/

and do a text search on Zener. That will get you down the page to one way to do it with tubes.

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Interesting question. So I googled +"vacuum tube" +"zener diode" and got some hits. Go to this one for example:

http://members.aol.com/sbench101/

and do a text search on Zener. That will get you down the page to one way to do it with tubes.

Great site, Thanks berkeman.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do diodes work?

Diodes are electronic components that allow current to flow in only one direction. They are made of a semiconductor material with two layers - an N-type layer and a P-type layer. When a positive voltage is applied to the P-type layer and a negative voltage to the N-type layer, the diode becomes forward-biased and allows current to flow. However, when the polarity is reversed, the diode becomes reverse-biased and blocks current flow.

2. What is the purpose of a diode?

The main purpose of a diode is to control the direction of current flow in a circuit. It can be used as a rectifier, converting AC current to DC current, or as a protection device, preventing current from flowing in the wrong direction and damaging other components.

3. What are the different types of diodes?

There are several types of diodes, including the standard PN junction diode, Schottky diode, Zener diode, and light-emitting diode (LED). Each type has unique characteristics and is used for different purposes in electronic circuits.

4. How can diodes be used in electronic circuits?

Diodes can be used in various ways in electronic circuits. They can be used to convert AC to DC, regulate voltage, protect other components from reverse current, and control the flow of current in specific parts of a circuit. They are also commonly used in power supplies, signal processing, and communication systems.

5. What are the limitations of diodes?

Diodes have some limitations, such as a voltage drop across the junction, which can cause a slight loss of power. They also have a maximum current rating and can be damaged if this rating is exceeded. Additionally, diodes can generate heat when conducting large currents and may require heat sinks to dissipate the heat. These limitations should be considered when designing circuits using diodes.