Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do astronomers measure an objects angular size?

1. Oct 1, 2005 #1
    Lets use Jupiter which has a diameter of 142,984 km at a distance from Earth of 5 AU or 747,989,353 km. The answer should be around 40.0 arcseconds, I’m just having trouble understanding how to do the calculation. If someone could help it would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2005 #2

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]\theta = 2 \arctan{\frac{r}{d}}[/tex]

Where [itex]r[/itex] is the radius of the body and [itex]d[/itex] is the distance to the body.

4. Oct 1, 2005 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Which of course reduces to [itex]\theta = 2r / d[/itex] (where [itex]\theta[/itex] comes out in radians) in the small-angle approximation, which surely holds for Jupiter viewed from the Earth (or even the moon or sun viewed from the earth).

And then you have to convert units as necessary, e.g. between radians and arcseconds.

5. Oct 1, 2005 #4
    I’m getting about 19.114. Is that right? Which would be arcseconds, not in radians, so I shouldn’t need to convert? What am I doing wrong? Unless, I just need to multiply it by 2?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  6. Oct 1, 2005 #5

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The number you gave is the diameter, which is already twice the radius, so all you should need to do is divide those two numbers and then convert to arcseconds:

[tex]\theta_{arcseconds}=\frac{diameter}{distance}\times206265[/tex]

7. Oct 1, 2005 #6
    Thanks SpaceTiger. I got 39.429 seconds of arc, but I’m not sure where you got the number 206265 from. Can you explain that?

8. Oct 1, 2005 #7

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's just the factor of conversion from radians to arcseconds. An arcsecond is equal to the angle subtended by earth-sun distance (AU) at a distance of parsec, so another way to write this is:

[tex]\theta_{arcseconds}=\frac{diameter_J}{distance_J}*\frac{parsec}{earth-sun~distance}[/tex]

where the "J" subscripts denote quantities for Jupiter. It's just a set of units that are convenient for interstellar scales. Note that a parsec is of order the distance to the nearest star. Also note that it was the parsec that was defined from the arcsecond and AU. An arcsecond can also be converted from radians by remembering that it's just 1/60 of an arcminute, which is 1/60 of a degree, which is 1/360 of a full rotation (2*pi radians).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  9. Oct 1, 2005 #8
    Ok, I now see how that number is arrived at. Thanks for the explanation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?