Credit Transfer for High School Students: Math and Engineering Credits Explained

• Thread starter Flaneuse
  • Start date
In summary, if you have credits from a local university and want them to transfer to your future college, the credit itself will transfer but the grades from those classes will not factor into your college GPA. However, if you apply for graduate school, they will require transcripts from all the colleges you have attended, so your grades will be visible then.
Flaneuse
I'm currently a high school student, but have several credits from a local university, mostly for math and some from engineering. If I want these credits to transfer to where ever I end up going to college, does the credit alone transfer (by which I mean does it simply count towards fulfilling requirements), or will the grades from these classes end up actually factoring into my college GPA?

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, your GPA at a particular college/university includes only courses that you take at that institution. If you later apply for graduate school, they will generally want you to submit transcripts from all the colleges/universities that you have attended, so they will see all your grades in any event.

Thanks for the reply :).

1. What is the process for transferring credits?

The process for transferring credits varies depending on the college or university you are transferring from and to. Generally, you will need to request an official transcript from your previous school and submit it to your new school's admissions office. The new school will then evaluate your transcript and determine which credits will transfer.

2. How do I know which credits will transfer?

The best way to determine which credits will transfer is to check with your new school's admissions office. They will have a transfer credit policy that outlines which credits are accepted and how they will be applied towards your degree. You can also use online tools or speak with an academic advisor to get an idea of which credits may transfer.

3. Can I transfer credits from a community college to a university?

Yes, most universities accept transfer credits from community colleges. However, it is important to check with the university's transfer credit policy to ensure the credits will be accepted and applied towards your degree.

4. Will my grades transfer with my credits?

In most cases, only the credits will transfer and not the grades. This means that your GPA from your previous school will not transfer to your new school. However, some schools may consider your grades if you are applying for a competitive program or scholarship.

5. How do transfer credits affect my graduation timeline?

The number of credits that transfer and how they are applied towards your degree will impact your graduation timeline. If a large number of credits transfer and are applicable to your degree, you may be able to graduate earlier. However, if only a few credits transfer or they do not fulfill major or general education requirements, it may take longer to graduate.