Can Sperm Be Collected for Clinical Trials Without Masturbation?

• Thread starter Ara macao
  • Start date
In summary, doctors use a procedure called testicular sperm extraction (TESE) to collect sperm for clinical trials involving infertile patients with low sperm count or obstruction preventing ejaculation. This procedure involves using a needle to extract sperm from the testes and is only used as a last resort. It is unlikely that this method would be approved for use in a clinical trial involving pubertal boys due to social concerns. Other methods, such as stimulating the prostate, are likely used instead.
Ara macao
Well, how do doctors collect sperm for say, a clinical trial?

Especially if say, the subject can't masturbate? [but has hit puberty]

Biology news on Phys.org
Can't? Or won't?

Because. You know. They can learn.

stick a needle into their testicles and extract it.

a needle? I would rather learn to masturbate.

pakmingki said:
stick a needle into their testicles and extract it.

ouch! is this a serious answer? I hope not... because if it is, then more research $ should definitely be put into alternate methods!

to answer the original question, I'm pretty sure they stimulate the prostate. I'm not sure if this is done with an electrical charge like with animals, or manually though.

I don't see why they would need to resort to needles unless there is something wrong with the urethra or something like that that would prevent semen from traveling.

im just joking (i hope)
it probably is masturbation

If one is unable to ejaculate sufficient sperm, such as in cases of infertility involving low sperm count, or when a vasectomy or other obstruction prevents semen from getting expelled from the testes, indeed, a needle is used in a procedure called testicular sperm extraction (TESE). It is painful, and only something done as a last resort.

Unless one were conducting a clinical trial on infertile patients who would require this, that would not be the method of obtaining sperm.

I have my doubts that someone would be able to obtain IRB approval to study sperm in pubertal boys, due to the obvious social issues of the collection process.

1. How do doctors collect sperm?

Doctors typically collect sperm through a process called masturbation. This involves the patient providing a semen sample by ejaculating into a sterile container. The sample is then analyzed for sperm count, motility, and morphology.

2. Is there any preparation required for sperm collection?

Yes, doctors may recommend that patients abstain from sexual activity for 2-3 days prior to collection in order to obtain a more accurate sample. Additionally, they may also suggest avoiding alcohol and certain medications that could affect sperm quality.

3. What happens if I can't produce a semen sample through masturbation?

In cases where a patient is unable to produce a semen sample through masturbation, doctors may use other methods such as electroejaculation or surgical sperm retrieval. These methods involve stimulating the prostate gland or retrieving sperm directly from the testicles.

4. How is the sperm sample handled after collection?

The sperm sample is typically kept at room temperature until it can be analyzed in a laboratory. It may also be refrigerated or frozen for later use, depending on the needs of the patient and their fertility treatment plan.

5. Are there any risks or side effects associated with sperm collection?

Sperm collection through masturbation is a safe and non-invasive procedure. However, some patients may experience temporary discomfort or soreness after ejaculation. There is also a small risk of infection, but this is rare and can be minimized by following proper hygiene practices.