How do electrons start to travel though a wire?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of setting up a wire one light year long with light bulbs connected to a battery, and how the bulbs would light up in different scenarios. The conversation also addresses the issue of resistance, voltage, and the propagation of potential through the wire. It is determined that the lights would not light up due to the high resistance of the circuit and the inability to put current in the circuit.
i want to ask one more doubt...,please spare me...you said that there are two effects traveling opposite to one another...nearly at c...,then what would be their relative speed with respect one another??

Physics news on Phys.org
Zero, because they are traveling side by side until they meet at the other end At the same time.
Now ask a difficult one. ;-)

hanii said:
but in a conductor ...electrons travel with a constant speed called drift speed...they don't accelerate...this is due to resistivity of the material used as conductor

I re-read this and there is one big flaw here. Electrons in a metal are constantly moving in random directions at massive speeds due to the temperature. Their average speed (the drift speed) is only a few mm per second, which is a tiny fraction of their RMS velocity.

sophiecentaur said:
There is another point. If the wire is in a loop, the same thing is happening at the negative terminal of the battery - a negative step function sets of from the negative terminal at just under c and at the same time as the positive step starts off from the + terminal. The two waves will meet half way round.

Are you sure about this? I don't think that's true. Current/voltage does not travel in both directions at the same time, only to cancel in the middle.

I think your point is mixing together sign convention and voltage level, where you're using both sign conventions at the same time to get two voltages traveling in opposite directions and meeting in the center. You should only use one sign convention at a time, and then you only have one voltage step, instead of 2 from opposite directions.

Last edited:
Where did my reply go? Maybe it will show up, but I'll say it again.
I scanned the posts and here is as far as I have gotten with this interesting question.
You all have made me think (correct me if I am wrong) that at first the bulbs close to the source would brighten and then dim as the charge carriers quickly spread out as water from a broken dam. Then as the charge builds the lights would slowly brighten.

DragonPetter said:
Are you sure about this? I don't think that's true. Current/voltage does not travel in both directions at the same time, only to cancel in the middle.

I think your point is mixing together sign convention and voltage level, where you're using both sign conventions at the same time to get two voltages traveling in opposite directions and meeting in the center. You should only use one sign convention at a time, and then you only have one voltage step, instead of 2 from opposite directions.

I'm not sure what "cancel(ing) in the middle" means.
Current flowing out of one of the connections to the cable will be matched by current flowing into the other. There will be a PD across / between the two wires. If they started off at Zero potential wrt 'Earth' then there WILL be a positive pulse traveling along one and a negative pulse traveling along the other (a balanced signal). If there is an appropriate load at the other end, current will flow through the load and dissipate. If the load is of the wrong impedance, there will be waves reflected back at the end (a short circuit in the case of the earlier models).

Think of your wire as a tube completely filled with marbles. Think of your battery as a marble pump inserting marbles into the "negative" end of the tube as it retrieves marbles from the "positive" end of the tube. Then you can envision how all of your lights would illuminate simultaneously.

NightSwimmer said:
Think of your wire as a tube completely filled with marbles. Think of your battery as a marble pump inserting marbles into the "negative" end of the tube as it retrieves marbles from the "positive" end of the tube. Then you can envision how all of your lights would illuminate simultaneously.

Nope. For all the lights to light up at the same time, the marbles would have to move in unison, with zero time for propogation of the wave. That implies an instantaneous signal i.e. faster than light.

NightSwimmer said:

Even in this analogy, you'd still expect the modulus and density of these marbles to impose a speed at which the impulse would propagate along the tube. Nothing would be instantaneous.

True enough. "Simultaneously" is an exaggeration.