1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Do Heat Pumps Work

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    Hey, I know this is pretty random, but I have a few questions about heat pumps. Does the refrigerant run out or is it circulated over and over again? Also, how does the compressor play into it? I know this is a simple question that will get simple answers, but if anyone knows anything, leave a post.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The refrigerant is recirculated.
    The compressor compresses the refrigerant, making hotter - in particular, hotter than the place you're pumping heat to. Having passed some of it's heat to the target, it's a bit cooler (but still warmer than the target). It's now allowed to expand. That makes it colder than it was before it was compressed. It now goes past the heat source, which warms it up a bit. And round it goes again.

4. Jun 27, 2012 #3
    Depends on whose system you are talking about. The R-22 in my old system just "ran out" last week and I have to replace the whole lot with a new R-410a based system ($$). Anyone here have a favorite brand?

5. Jun 27, 2012 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook