Understanding Holograms: How Do They Work?

• Thread starter Jay Lakoda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the holographic plate works by using a light source to project an image on a surface, the image can then be recorded on a holographic plate.
Jay Lakoda
I've read and watched countless educational articles/lectures/youtube vids/etc. And I still don't get it. What happens to the molecules in the holographic film to make it work? Are new molecules formed? Are electrons changing states? Or what? I don't understand how it works. Help please =/

Lol, idk. I just would like someone to explain how holograms work.

You know, I have exactly the same question. Google has been my constant companion with this, but just like with you, nothing has really been too helpful in sufficiently explaining how holography works in terms I can understand.

Hope someone out there has a really good answer to this!

Jay Lakoda said:
I've read and watched countless educational articles/lectures/youtube vids/etc. And I still don't get it.

It seems the OP has been there, just like me.

Actually it's not very clear to me what the OP intended to ask, is it how holography works in the sense of its underlying physics or how a hologram can be developed to become a transmission grating? If it's the latter, it involves certain chemical reaction, as pointed out in the second link I gave up there, and he might have gotten relevant answers if this post was made under chemistry forum.

I feel the same way. I have looked and looked on the internet and read ton of articles, but nobody does a good job of breaking down a Hologram in layman's terms. The main question I have, if anyone out there knows, is how to IDENTITY a Hologram. I have a feeling that we are going to need to know that in the future, and I have not found the answer yet. Hopefully someone who knows will see this thread and answer. My own elementary thought at the moment is that if you shine a high-beam light through it, it would defract on the other side. But if there's is nothing behind it, or if it's done in daylight, would you be able to see it? Anyone have any thoughts on how to recognize a a high-tech hologram?

So I tried reading a bit more on this, and I came to the conclusion that a hologram is a really complicated diffraction grating that causes a light source to interfere with itself to create a 3D virtual image that we see. Am I close?

If you don,t get the right answer after reading/watching the articles and videos then you should read the Journals published by IEEE. I think it help you to sort out your job/problem.

1. How do holograms work?

Holograms work by capturing and displaying three-dimensional images using light diffraction. This is achieved by recording the interference pattern of two light beams, one being a reference beam and the other being the object beam. This recorded pattern is then projected onto a two-dimensional surface, creating the illusion of a three-dimensional image.

2. What materials are used to create holograms?

The most common materials used to create holograms are glass, plastic, and metal. These materials are typically coated with a photographic emulsion that contains silver halide crystals, which are sensitive to light. Some holograms also use specialized photopolymer materials that can be directly exposed to light without the need for traditional film development.

3. How are holograms different from traditional photographs or images?

Holograms are different from traditional photographs or images because they capture and display three-dimensional information, while traditional images are two-dimensional. This allows holograms to appear more lifelike and have depth, making them seem as if they are floating in space.

4. What applications do holograms have in science and technology?

Holograms have many applications in science and technology, including in medicine, engineering, and entertainment. In medicine, holograms can be used to create 3D images of internal organs for diagnosis and surgical planning. In engineering, holograms can be used for non-destructive testing and creating 3D models of objects. In entertainment, holograms can be used for special effects and virtual reality experiences.

5. Can holograms be used for data storage?

Yes, holograms can be used for data storage. Holographic data storage uses the same principle of recording interference patterns to store large amounts of data in a small space. This technology has the potential to store much more data than traditional storage methods, but it is still in the early stages of development and not yet widely used.