How do I apply the pre-tension option to a solid body in Abaqus FEA software?

In summary, the Pre-tension option in Abaqus CAE can be accessed in the Solution section and allows you to apply tension to your model, such as in the case of simulating a guitar string for calculating its fundamental frequency.
deadstar33
In all the Abaqus manuals I have read, it only tells me what the pre-tension option DOES, or a little bit about how it works, but what I want to know is literally which buttons to press to get to that option and how to apply it. I can't find the option anywhere in the software.

Details of specific problem: I need to apply pre-tension to a simulated guitar string so I can calculate its fundamental frequency. In order to accurately simulate it, I need to apply the true-to-life boundary conditions at each end of the string and apply the pre-tension that arises when the string is tuned up and made taut (i.e. the frequency increases as the tension increases). I have modeled the string with the correct Young's modulus, density and Poisson's ratio and have applied the boundary conditions correctly. I am treating it as a 3D deformable wire with linear beam elements and a circular profile.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Pre-tension option is located in the Solution section of the Abaqus CAE interface. To access it, open the model in Abaqus CAE and go to the Analysis tab, then click on the Solution option, and finally click on the Pre-Tension option. You can then set the tension value you want to apply to your simulated guitar string, as well as other parameters such as a damping factor if needed. Once you have set the desired parameters, click "OK" to apply the pre-tension to your model.

1. How do I access the pre-tension option in Abaqus FEA software?

To access the pre-tension option in Abaqus, go to the "Pre-tension" tab in the "Step Manager" and select "Create" to define a new pre-tension load.

2. Can I apply pre-tension to multiple solid bodies in Abaqus?

Yes, you can apply pre-tension to multiple solid bodies in Abaqus by selecting all the bodies in the "Regions" section of the "Create Pre-tension" window.

3. Is it possible to change the pre-tension load magnitude after it has been applied?

Yes, you can change the pre-tension load magnitude by going to the "Pre-tension" tab and selecting the pre-tension step. Then, click on "Edit" and change the magnitude in the "Magnitude" field.

4. How do I specify the direction of the pre-tension load?

The direction of the pre-tension load can be specified by selecting the appropriate option in the "Orientation" section of the "Create Pre-tension" window. You can choose to apply the load in the global coordinate system or in the local coordinate system of the solid body.

5. Can I visualize the pre-tension load in my model?

Yes, you can visualize the pre-tension load in your model by selecting the pre-tension step in the "Step Manager" and clicking on "Plot" to view the pre-tension load vector on the solid body. You can also use the "Field Output" option to view the pre-tension force distribution in the model.