How do I apply the pre-tension option to a solid body in Abaqus FEA software?

In summary, the pre-tension option in Abaqus can be found in the Loads tab of the Step module and can be applied by selecting "Force/Moment" and then "Pre-tension" from the dropdown menus.
deadstar33
In all the Abaqus manuals I have read, it only tells me what the pre-tension option DOES, or a little bit about how it works, but what I want to know is literally which buttons to press to get to that option and how to apply it. I can't find the option anywhere in the software.

Details of specific problem: I need to apply pre-tension to a simulated guitar string so I can calculate its fundamental frequency. In order to accurately simulate it, I need to apply the true-to-life boundary conditions at each end of the string and apply the pre-tension that arises when the string is tuned up and made taut (i.e. the frequency increases as the tension increases). I have modeled the string with the correct Young's modulus, density and Poisson's ratio and have applied the boundary conditions correctly. I am treating it as a 3D deformable wire with linear beam elements and a circular profile.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The pre-tension option in Abaqus is found in the Loads tab of the Step module. To apply pre-tension to your simulated guitar string, select the "Force/Moment" option from the Load Type dropdown menu, then select the "Pre-tension" option from the Force/Moment sub-menu. You can then define the magnitude of the pre-tension force that you want to apply to the simulated string. Once you have defined the magnitude of the pre-tension force, click the "Apply" button and the pre-tension will be applied to the string.

1. How do I access the pre-tension option in Abaqus FEA software?

To access the pre-tension option in Abaqus FEA software, you need to first create a new model or open an existing one. Then, go to the "Steps" module and select "Pre-tension" from the drop-down menu. This will open a new dialog box where you can define your pre-tension settings.

2. What is the purpose of using pre-tension in Abaqus FEA software?

Pre-tension is used in Abaqus FEA software to model the effects of initial stresses or strains on a solid body. It allows you to apply a force or displacement to the body before any other loading or boundary conditions are applied, and can help simulate real-life scenarios more accurately.

3. How do I define the pre-tension load in Abaqus FEA software?

To define the pre-tension load, you need to specify the magnitude and direction of the load in the "Pre-tension" dialog box. You can also choose to apply the load as a force or a displacement, and define the location and orientation of the load on the body.

4. Can I apply pre-tension to only a specific part of the body in Abaqus FEA software?

Yes, you can apply pre-tension to only a specific part of the body by using the "Regions" option in the "Pre-tension" dialog box. This allows you to select the elements or nodes on which you want to apply the pre-tension load.

5. How do I make sure that the pre-tension load is properly applied to my solid body in Abaqus FEA software?

To ensure that the pre-tension load is properly applied to your solid body, you can use the "Preview" option in the "Pre-tension" dialog box. This will show you the pre-tension load vector and its location on the body, allowing you to make any necessary adjustments before running your simulation.