1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I calculate y+ in fluid mechanics from the relation y+=(ut*y)/v?

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to calculate y in the relation y+=(ut*y)/v where y+ is similar to a local Reynolds number, so its magnitude can be expected to determine the relative importance of viscous and turbulent processes. In the listed relation ut is the friction velocity [ut=sqrt(wall shear stress/density)] and v is the viscosity. The problem I am facing is that I don't know what y+ to choose to calculate y, my ultimate goal is thus to calculate y, and I am not sure if I should only assume a y+ so I can calculate y. If so, on what basis should I choose y+? Thanks.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did assume y+ and solved for y, but that just does not make sense. I am confused as I am only trying to calculate the laminar boundary layer y, on a flat plate according to Blasius procedures.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?