Deriving Schwarzschild Metric: How to Come Up with a Proper Ansatz?

• Thread starter space-time
  • Start date
In summary, the source explains how to derive the Schwarzschild metric by choosing an ansatz and working from there. The process of choosing an ansatz is more of an art and requires intuition, but it can be made easier by considering the physical problem and its symmetries. For other coordinate systems, the ansatz would depend on the specific problem being solved.
space-time
In this source explaining how to derive the Schwarzschild metric, the person came up with an ansatz and worked from there.

Source: http://www.thescienceforum.com/physics/30059-solving-einstein-field-equations.html

I just want to know this: How do you come up with a proper ansatz? It looks like the guy in the source just chose any space-time interval of his desire (the one for spherical coordinates in this case) and then multiplied a few of the terms in the interval by some unknown functions of r. How would he know how many unknown functions of r he needed and which terms to multiply them by?

Also, recently, I just went about deriving the Christoffel symbol for 4D cylindrical coordinates. I also derived the metric tensor, the inverse metric tensor and the space-time interval before deriving the Christoffel symbol.

How would I know what terms within my cylindrical coordinates space time interval should be multiplied by some unknown functions when I create my ansatz? Also, how many terms should be multiplied by some unknown function?

If possible, can someone link me to any sources that teach you how to propose a proper ansatz for the Einstein field equations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
space-time said:
I just want to know this: How do you come up with a proper ansatz? It looks like the guy in the source just chose any space-time interval of his desire (the one for spherical coordinates in this case) and then multiplied a few of the terms in the interval by some unknown functions of r. How would he know how many unknown functions of r he needed and which terms to multiply them by
Choosing an ansatz is more of art than a science, and it takes some practice to develop the necessary intuition. In this case, it's most likely that author of that science forum piece already knew the final answer, which makes it a lot easier :smile: to choose a good starting point. However, Schwarzschild didn't have that advantage, and he was able to solve the problem; his thought process was probably something along the lines of:
- Because the physical problem has spherical symmetry, the solution is likely to be most easily expressed in spherical coordinates.
- Because the physical problem has spherical symmetry, the surfaces of constant ##r## and ##t## are likely to have the same topology as the surface of a sphere. That determines the metric coefficients for ##d\theta## and ##d\phi##, and leaves only ##dr## and ##dt## to attach unknown functions to.
How would I know what terms within my cylindrical coordinates space time interval should be multiplied by some unknown functions when I create my ansatz? Also, how many terms should be multiplied by some unknown function?

it depends on what physical problem you're trying to solve. For flat spacetime, you're done - you have all the information needed to describe flat space-time using cylindrical coordinates. For anything else, you'd have to further specify the problem.

1. What is the Schwarzschild metric?

The Schwarzschild metric is a mathematical formula that describes the curvature of spacetime around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass. It is a fundamental solution to Einstein's field equations in general relativity and is used to describe the gravitational field outside of a spherical mass, such as a star or a black hole.

2. Why is it important to derive the Schwarzschild metric?

The Schwarzschild metric is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of gravity in the presence of a massive object. It is also a key component in many applications of general relativity, such as predicting the motion of planets and spacecraft, and understanding the properties of black holes.

3. What is an ansatz in the context of deriving the Schwarzschild metric?

An ansatz is a proposed solution or guess that is used as a starting point for a mathematical derivation. In the context of deriving the Schwarzschild metric, it refers to a specific form of the metric that is assumed to be a solution to the field equations and is then refined and tested through further calculations.

4. How do scientists come up with the proper ansatz for the Schwarzschild metric?

The proper ansatz for the Schwarzschild metric is derived through a combination of physical intuition and mathematical reasoning. Scientists use their understanding of the physical properties of the system, such as spherical symmetry and the behavior of light in a gravitational field, to guide their choice of ansatz. They also use mathematical techniques, such as tensor calculus and symmetry arguments, to refine and validate their proposed solution.

5. What are the implications of successfully deriving the Schwarzschild metric?

Successfully deriving the Schwarzschild metric has important implications for our understanding of gravity and the behavior of massive objects in the universe. It confirms Einstein's theory of general relativity and allows us to make accurate predictions about the motion of objects in the presence of a gravitational field. It also has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and space exploration.