How do I determine anode/cathode?

• Thread starter weirdobomb
  • Start date
In summary, the solubility product for CuI(s) is 1.1 x 10^-12 and the value of cell potential for the half-reaction CuI + e- => Cu + I- is found to be 0.18675 Volts. The Nernst equation was used to solve for the standard cell potential, and E = E(cathode) - E(anode) was used to solve for the remaining unknown. It was determined that Cu+ + e- => Cu is the anode and CuI + e- => Cu + I- is the cathode. The type of cell (electrolytic or galvanic) does not affect the solution.
weirdobomb

Homework Statement

The solubility product for CuI(s) is 1.1 x 10^-12. Calculate
the value of cell potential for the half-reaction

CuI + e- => Cu + I-

I find the other half reaction is Cu+ + e- => Cu E=0.52V

Homework Equations

I use the Nernst equation to solve for the standard cell potential, then fill in E = E(cathode) - E(anode) to solve the remaining unknown.

The Attempt at a Solution

Heads up I found the solution to be 0.18675 Volts through trial and error, the solutions at the back of the textbook say 0.19V. I had a hard time reasoning which is the anode/cathode. How do I find this? Is it beacuse when solving for the standard cell potential in the Nernst equation that I get E = -0.707V?

Also, I'm not sure if this is an electrolytic cell or galvanic cell but does that matter when solving?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have solved my question, I was over thinking it. The half-reaction is given as it is and by looking at it's form, it is the cathode. Thus Cu+ + e- => Cu is the anode.

1. How do I determine the anode and cathode in a battery?

In a battery, the anode is the negative terminal and the cathode is the positive terminal. You can determine the anode and cathode by looking for the plus and minus signs on the battery. The minus sign indicates the anode and the plus sign indicates the cathode.

2. How do I determine the anode and cathode in an electrolytic cell?

In an electrolytic cell, the anode is the positive electrode and the cathode is the negative electrode. You can determine the anode and cathode by looking for the electrodes connected to the power source. The electrode connected to the positive terminal is the anode and the electrode connected to the negative terminal is the cathode.

3. How do I determine the anode and cathode in a galvanic cell?

In a galvanic cell, the anode is the negative electrode and the cathode is the positive electrode. You can determine the anode and cathode by looking for the electrodes connected to the external circuit. The electrode connected to the negative terminal is the anode and the electrode connected to the positive terminal is the cathode.

4. How do I determine the anode and cathode in a diode?

In a diode, the anode is the positive terminal and the cathode is the negative terminal. You can determine the anode and cathode by looking for the markings on the diode. The end with the arrow pointing away from the line represents the anode and the end with the vertical line represents the cathode.

5. How do I determine the anode and cathode in an electrochemical cell?

In an electrochemical cell, the anode is the electrode where oxidation occurs and the cathode is the electrode where reduction occurs. You can determine the anode and cathode by remembering the mnemonic device "AN OX" (anode oxidation) and "RED CAT" (reduction cathode).