1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I determine anode/cathode?

1. Mar 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The solubility product for CuI(s) is 1.1 x 10^-12. Calculate
    the value of cell potential for the half-reaction

CuI + e- => Cu + I-

I find the other half reaction is Cu+ + e- => Cu E=0.52V

2. Relevant equations
    I use the Nernst equation to solve for the standard cell potential, then fill in E = E(cathode) - E(anode) to solve the remaining unknown.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Heads up I found the solution to be 0.18675 Volts through trial and error, the solutions at the back of the textbook say 0.19V. I had a hard time reasoning which is the anode/cathode. How do I find this? Is it beacuse when solving for the standard cell potential in the Nernst equation that I get E = -0.707V?

Also, I'm not sure if this is an electrolytic cell or galvanic cell but does that matter when solving?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2
    I think I have solved my question, I was over thinking it. The half-reaction is given as it is and by looking at it's form, it is the cathode. Thus Cu+ + e- => Cu is the anode.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted