1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I determine the elastic energy?

1. Jan 6, 2004 #1
    HELP.....ASAP physics lab!

When a mass of 750g is attached to a spring with constant 24N/m, the max stretch recorded when dropped is .65m. How do I determine the eleastic energy, gravitational potential energy, kinetic energy, the total energy at the top middle and bottem positions of the mass that was dropped from the unstreteched spring. Also, what happens to energy that seems to dissappear with each subsequent bounce of a vibrating mass-spring system?
    THANK YOU!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2004 #2
    I doubt you'll get any answers to your questions as posed. Not being mean but you have to show us that you've done some of the work and we're here to help, not do it for you.

You calculate the gravitational potential energy the same way you would for any mass at a given height above the reference level. Choosing certain locations for the reference level can make the math a little easier than others but it is arbitrary. Give this part a shot, let us know what you come up with and you get more help.

4. Jan 9, 2004 #3
    look in your text book for the work/kinetic energy theorem, this should help out quite a bit. also check this link out and see if you find anything there.

www.fearofphysics.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?