Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do i differentiate this?

1. Feb 19, 2004 #1
    x^2 - xy - y^2 = 3
    how do i work out dy/dx?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

either make y a function of x, which is trival but dull or just differentiate everything wrt x and use the chain rule and product rule.

example, one you can do anyway, suppose xy=1

then assuming this implicitly defines a function y in terms of x (notice that word implicit, look in your notes for a reference to it)

then [tex]\frac{d}{dx}xy = \frac{d}{dx}1[/tex] that is to say [tex] (\frac{d}{dx}x)y + x(\frac{d}{dx}y) = 0[/tex]. of course dx/dx=1 so, [tex]y+ x\frac{dy}{dx}=0[/tex] and we see that [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = -y/x[/tex] recall that y= 1/x, and we see [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = -1/x^2[/tex] try and apply this idea to you example

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  4. Feb 20, 2004 #3
    Implicit Differentiation...

differentiate:
    x^2 - xy - y^2 = 3

Implicit Differentiation:
    (d/dx)[x^2 - xy - y^2] = (d/dx)[3]

(d/dx)[x^2] - (d/dx)[xy] - (d/dx)[y^2] = (d/dx)[3]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2004
  5. Feb 21, 2004 #4

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm a little confused with the answers above. When differentiating some function of y with respect to x, is it not simply the derivate of the function with respect to y multiplies by the derivative of y with respect to x?

Such that:

[tex]x^2 - xy - y^2 = 3[/tex]

[tex]2x - \left( y + x \frac{dy}{dx} \right) - 2y \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]2x - y - x \frac{dy}{dx} - 2y \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]x \frac{dy}{dx} + 2y \frac{dy}{dx} + y - 2x = 0 [/tex]

[tex](x + 2y) \frac{dy}{dx} = 2x - y[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{2x - y}{x + 2y}[/tex]

Please say if this is wrong somehow, I need the practise.

6. Feb 21, 2004 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that seems to be a correct assertion. this is called implicit differentiation.

7. Feb 24, 2004 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that was, in fact, exactly what matt grime orginally said!:smile:

8. Feb 24, 2004 #7

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I didn't really understand the method though and got a bit confused so I wanted to check I knew how to do it, I was unsure why the example of if xy = 1 was given.

Probably just the way I look at maths at the level I do it, I presume it would differ when I go to university.

9. Feb 24, 2004 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I gave that example for two reasons: it was easy to rearrange and solve without implicit differentiation, so that you could see that you got the answer you thought you ought to get, and because I didn't want to just solve your homework problem for you, but to prompt you into trying it again for yourself, changind the details as necessary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?