How do I dispose of used Ferric Chloride etchant?

• Thread starter NipunaG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    etching
In summary, copper chloride can be disposed of by adding sodium carbonate and/or sodium hydroxide to the ferric chloride to precipitate the copper and iron.
NipunaG
Hi everybody.
I'm an electronics hobbyist and use Ferric chloride to etch copper circuit boards. I'm left with a solution of copper chloride (or is it cupric chloride? Chemistry isn't my forte).
So my question is, how do I dispose of it? I already searched around on the internet and there was no clear answer except "contact the authorities", but I can't do that here because I live in a third world dump and the authorities are not to be trusted with waste disposal. I have to do everything myself, if possible.
I know some people who etch boards like this in large scale (a thousand boards a month or so) and these guys just throw the stuff wherever they can. One of them recently contacted me about disposal because he was worried about any damage he may be doing, which prompted my search.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is not much weight of copper in the solution, so it is probably uneconomic to refine into metallic Cu. Placing Al metal cans in a Cu solution will sometimes produce metallic Cu.

The chlorine is a problem as it digests wood and rusts steel, so maybe you can react the waste solution to produce CuSO4. That can be used to plate metals with copper, or to treat timber to stop it rotting.

Some soils are short of Cu as a trace element. You could treat those soils by adding a Cu compound to a fertiliser. What are your soils like?

Cu is used in anti-fouling paint on boat hulls, while molluscs use two Cu atoms to make their blue blood = haemocyanin, instead of the Fe that makes animals blood red = haemoglobin. Green trees use an Mg atom to make chlorophyll.

Have you thought of breeding and farming octopuses?

NipunaG said:
Hi everybody.
I'm an electronics hobbyist and use Ferric chloride to etch copper circuit boards. I'm left with a solution of copper chloride (or is it cupric chloride? Chemistry isn't my forte).
So my question is, how do I dispose of it? I already searched around on the internet and there was no clear answer except "contact the authorities", but I can't do that here because I live in a third world dump and the authorities are not to be trusted with waste disposal. I have to do everything myself, if possible.
I know some people who etch boards like this in large scale (a thousand boards a month or so) and these guys just throw the stuff wherever they can. One of them recently contacted me about disposal because he was worried about any damage he may be doing, which prompted my search.
One company recommends adding sodium carbonate and/or sodium hydroxide to the ferric chloride. Copper and iron would be precipitated and the NaCl (table salt) would be in solution.
https://www.mgchemicals.com/products/prototyping-and-circuit-repair/prototyping/ferric-chloride-415

Likes gleem

1. How should I dispose of used Ferric Chloride etchant?

Used Ferric Chloride etchant should be disposed of properly according to local regulations. Contact your local waste management agency for specific guidelines.

2. Can I pour used Ferric Chloride etchant down the drain?

No, it is not safe to pour used Ferric Chloride etchant down the drain as it can harm the environment and cause damage to sewage systems. It must be disposed of properly.

3. Is it safe to throw used Ferric Chloride etchant in the trash?

No, it is not safe to throw used Ferric Chloride etchant in the trash as it can potentially harm waste collectors and cause environmental damage. It must be disposed of properly.

4. How can I neutralize used Ferric Chloride etchant?

Used Ferric Chloride etchant can be neutralized by adding a base, such as sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate, until the solution reaches a pH of 7.0. However, it is still important to dispose of it properly afterwards.

5. Can I reuse Ferric Chloride etchant?

Yes, Ferric Chloride etchant can be reused multiple times before it becomes too weak to effectively etch. However, it is important to properly store and label the solution and dispose of it properly when it can no longer be used.