1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do i do this?

1. Feb 5, 2004 #1
    Find the work (intergral over C )F dot dr done by a force F=yi + xj in going all the wy counterclockwise around circle C give by x^2+y^2+2x=0, by the easiet technique you know.

Would i get a double intergral over C (-1) dxdy? How would I get C?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2004 #2
    U can interchange dy into dx and vice versa from the equation of circle and it will be easy to integrate

4. Feb 6, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The easiest way is this: Since d(y)/y= 1= d(x)/dx, this is a "conservative" force field (mathematically, ydx+ xdy is an "exact differential") and so its integral around any closed path is 0.

I'm not sure where you got "-1" from. Using Green's theorem the integrand would be d(x)/dx- d(y)/dy= 1- 1= 0 just as above.

Saying "How would I get C?" makes it sound as if you think C is a constant. You don't have to "get" C: C is the path given.

IF the problem were to integrate, say, ydx+ 3xdy, then we would integrate [tex]\int (\frac{d(3x)}{dx}-\frac{d(y)}{dy})dA [/tex]
    = [tex]2\int dA[/tex] which is just 2 times the area of the circle.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?