How do I even start?

• Thread starter trASHf
  • Start date
Homework Statement:
Unknown object has a mass of 3.2kg on steel plank.

Add forces:
magnitude of applied force =22.8N
magnitude of acceleration =3.02m/s^2

What is the material?
Relevant Equations:
Newton's Second Law
idek

Answers and Replies

DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't know either. Can you provide a better description of the problem, and maybe an attempt at the solution?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Homework Statement: Unknown object has a mass of 3.2kg on steel plank.

Add forces:
magnitude of applied force =22.8N
magnitude of acceleration =3.02m/s^2

What is the material?
Homework Equations: Newton's Second Law

idek
Given the utterly ambiguous problem statement, I'd say the answer is clearly "something will happen"

I agree that it is a very open-ended question
I don't know either. Can you provide a better description of the problem, and maybe an attempt at the solution?

Of course. This is a forces problem and I think one must find the coefficient of friction that exists between the two materials. Although it doesn't specify the direction the force is being applied or the the acceleration, I believe those may have to be hypothesized.

Given the utterly ambiguous problem statement, I'd say the answer is clearly "something will happen"

The question I believe is asking just to determine the material based off the information given by using Newton's Second Law to find the coefficient of friction between the two materials. I have attempted this question did not get a reasonable result. Sorry if the post was not clear, hopefully this makes it less ambiguous.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I agree that it is a very open-ended question
No, it's not "open ended", it's utterly ambiguous. It's NOT that it has multiple possible answers ("open ended"), it's that it has no answer at all because you have not defined the problem.

Likes berkeman and trASHf
berkeman
Mentor
Closed for Moderation...

berkeman
Mentor
The question I believe is asking just to determine the material based off the information given by using Newton's Second Law to find the coefficient of friction between the two materials. I have attempted this question did not get a reasonable result. Sorry if the post was not clear, hopefully this makes it less ambiguous.

Please re-post your thread with a good thread start that includes a clear problem statement and your best attempt at working the problem. We need you to do that before we can offer our tutorial help.

Thank you very much.