How can I factor a polynomial with 4 unlike terms?

• Thread starter EricPowell
  • Start date
In summary, the given polynomial can be factored as (3-x-y)(x-y). To factor it, we can use the hint that 3x-3y = 3(x-y) and -x^2+y^2 = -(x+y)(x-y). This allows us to factor out the common factor of (x-y) and then use the difference of squares formula to factor out the remaining terms.
EricPowell
3x-3y-x^2+y^2
My textbook says the answer is (3-x-y)(x-y)

I tried to factor it two different ways. One time I got
3(x-y)-x^2+y^2
And the other time I got
x(3-x)-y(3-y)

I've never seen a polynomial with 4 unlike terms like this before, and I am not understanding how 3-x-y is part of the answer (it has three terms in it). How does one go about factoring something like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
EricPowell said:
3x-3y-x^2+y^2
My textbook says the answer is (3-x-y)(x-y)

I tried to factor it two different ways. One time I got
3(x-y)-x^2+y^2
And the other time I got
x(3-x)-y(3-y)

I've never seen a polynomial with 4 unlike terms like this before, and I am not understanding how 3-x-y is part of the answer (it has three terms in it). How does one go about factoring something like this?

Hint: 3x-3y = 3(x-y)

and

-x^2 + y^2 = -(x^2 - y^2) = -(x+y)(x-y)

EDIT: Nice April Fool's joke, Evo. I love that avatar. Think I'll keep her.

1. How do I factor 3x-3y-x^2+y^2?

The expression 3x-3y-x^2+y^2 can be factored using the difference of squares formula. This formula states that a^2 - b^2 = (a+b)(a-b). In this case, a = x and b = y. Therefore, the factored form of the expression is (x+y)(x-y).

2. Can the expression 3x-3y-x^2+y^2 be factored further?

No, the expression 3x-3y-x^2+y^2 cannot be factored further because it is already in its simplest form. The factors (x+y) and (x-y) cannot be simplified any further.

3. Can I use the FOIL method to factor 3x-3y-x^2+y^2?

No, the FOIL method is used to multiply two binomials, not to factor an expression. The difference of squares formula should be used to factor 3x-3y-x^2+y^2.

4. Are there any other methods to factor 3x-3y-x^2+y^2?

Yes, besides using the difference of squares formula, the expression 3x-3y-x^2+y^2 can also be factored by grouping. This involves grouping terms with common factors and factoring them separately. However, in this case, using the difference of squares formula is the easiest and most efficient method.

5. How can I check if my factored form of 3x-3y-x^2+y^2 is correct?

To check if your factored form of 3x-3y-x^2+y^2 is correct, you can use the distributive property to multiply the factors (x+y)(x-y) and see if it simplifies back to the original expression. In this case, (x+y)(x-y) = x^2 - xy + xy - y^2 = x^2 - y^2, which is the same as the original expression. This confirms that the factored form is correct.