1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How do I find an enthalpy value if my temp. is below 50 deg. celcius?

1. Jun 29, 2018 #1
    I wanna design a curding machine (Milk to Cheese) with an open system that operate at isobaric process (contant pressure),
    P = 1 atm = 1,... bar
    the range of temperature is = 25-75 0C
    can i find an enthalpy of water from Mollier Diagram if my temp. is 25 to 75 degree celcius ? how ?

from my view, i must seperates water properties from milk to make curds.
    so i use mollier diagram but still confuse about it.

220px-HS-Wasserdampf_engl.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2018 #2
    What is the heat capacity of water?

4. Jun 29, 2018 #3
    the amount of heat needed to raise its temperature a certain amount. One of water's most significant properties is that it takes a lot of heat to it to make it get hot. Precisely, water has to absorb 4,184 Joules of heat for the temperature of one kilogram of water to increase 1 degree celsius (°C)

5. Jun 29, 2018 #4
    So, why can't you use this to get the enthalpy of water at 50 C (consistent with the Mollier diagram reference state)?

6. Jun 29, 2018 #5
    is there any equation to help me maybe ? still confuse to use this diagram :H

7. Jun 29, 2018 #6
    Why are you using a Mollier diagram? Why aren't you using the Steam Tables? The change in enthalpy with respect to temperature is $$\Delta H=mC_p\Delta t$$assuming no change of phase.

8. Jun 29, 2018 #7
    because from mollier diagram there is an x value which is a moisture of water parameter, and i think is a must factor to include.
    am i wrong ? or is it more simple using steam table to get the enthalpy ?

9. Jun 29, 2018 #8
    The moisture parameter gives the fraction that’s vapor, but, in your case, you have purely a liquid stream, right? It is, of course, simpler to use the steam tables(or even the equation), and it’s more accurate than reading off a graph. You seem to need to review thetmo to get the basic concepts down pat.

10. Jun 29, 2018 #9
    Okay ill try it using the steam table.
    Thanks you sir, i really appreciate that. glad someone can help here :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted