How do i find electric field of a sphere?

In summary: These calculations are valid for point A and point B, but not for point C. The correct answer for point C is the total field of the original ball and the imaginary hollowed out ball, which is equal to Kq/r^2.
Dell
we have solid ball with a radius of R=5cm and a charge density of "rho"=-3C/m3,
inside this ball, we make a hollow ball shaped space with a radius of R/3 with its centre at 2R/3 from the centre of the big ball.

diagram below
http://picasaweb.google.com/devanlevin/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_4l4PpvP_YsQE#5314956645280048530

what is the electric field at point:

A-on the leftmost point of the hollow
B-on the top point of the hollow
C-at the centre of the big ball

==============================================================
these are all my calculations, but i am only stuck with C, so if you don't fell like going through the whole story,skip to the last step (4)
===============================================================

what i did was the following:
my workings:
http://picasaweb.google.com/devanlevin/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_4l4PpvP_YsQE#5315181847071965298

i say that my field is the total of 2 fields, one of the original ball, and one of the "imaginary hollowed out ball" (which has a density equal to the negative of the density of the big ball)

1) i chose a gauss surface as a sphere, after my calculations i get : E=([tex]\rho[/tex]r/3[tex]E[/tex]0)
i will use this expression throughout my calculation changing the radius every time

2) for point A, i can say that the field in the y and z axis is 0 because of the symetry of the point.
as for the axis:
Ex=([tex]\rho[/tex]R/3[tex]E[/tex]0) - ([tex]\rho[/tex](R/3)/3[tex]E[/tex]0)

EAx=(2[tex]\rho[/tex]r/9[tex]E[/tex]0)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3) for point B, z axis is still 0 because of symetry
Ey=([tex]\rho[/tex](sqrt(5)R/3)/3[tex]E[/tex]0*sin(26.565)) -([tex]\rho[/tex](R/3)/3[tex]E[/tex]0) = 0
Ex=([tex]\rho[/tex](sqrt(5)R/3)/3[tex]E[/tex]0*cos(26.565)) - 0 =

EBx=(2[tex]\rho[/tex]r/9[tex]E[/tex]0)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) for point C i say that since it is exactly in the centre of the big ball, the big ball's field at C is equal to 0, because of perfect symetry and because R=0, so the total field at point C is only the field of my hollowed out imaginary ball,
because of the symetry, the imaginary ball too has 0 field on y and z axis so i only care about x

ECx=([tex]\rho[/tex](2R/3)/3[tex]E[/tex]0)
ECx=(2[tex]\rho[/tex]r/9[tex]E[/tex]0)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOW CAN THIS BE??
for A, B i understand that it is possible that the field is the same, but for C i do not, the correct answer is supposed to be

ECx=(2[tex]\rho[/tex]r/36[tex]E[/tex]0)
but i cannot get to it, where am i going wrong??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dell,

Dell said:
we have solid ball with a radius of R=5cm and a charge density of "rho"=-3C/m3,
inside this ball, we make a hollow ball shaped space with a radius of R/3 with its centre at 2R/3 from the centre of the big ball.

diagram below
http://picasaweb.google.com/devanlevin/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_4l4PpvP_YsQE#5314956645280048530

what is the electric field at point:

A-on the leftmost point of the hollow
B-on the top point of the hollow
C-at the centre of the big ball

==============================================================
these are all my calculations, but i am only stuck with C, so if you don't fell like going through the whole story,skip to the last step (4)
===============================================================

what i did was the following:
my workings:
http://picasaweb.google.com/devanlevin/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_4l4PpvP_YsQE#5315181847071965298

i say that my field is the total of 2 fields, one of the original ball, and one of the "imaginary hollowed out ball" (which has a density equal to the negative of the density of the big ball)

1) i chose a gauss surface as a sphere, after my calculations i get : E=([tex]\rho[/tex]r/3[tex]E[/tex]0)
i will use this expression throughout my calculation changing the radius every time

This expression is true, but remember that it applies when the point you are looking at is inside the sphere. (Notice that if you plot it out, it gets larger and larger as you move away from the center; this is true as long as you are inside the sphere, but once you move outside the sphere the electric field begins decreasing.)

But the field point for part c is outside the imaginary sphere. So what you need for part c is to find the electric field outside of a sphere (but with the formula still including the charge density of the sphere). Does this help?

Last edited by a moderator:
i think so, can i take the sphere as if all its charge were in its centre and use Kq/r^2 for my field?

Dell said:
i think so, can i take the sphere as if all its charge were in its centre and use Kq/r^2 for my field?

That sounds right (but when you rewrite it with the charge density you'll have to be sure to keep track of what the different R's mean). Do you get the answer?

yes thanks, worked perfectly

Glad to help!

1. How do I calculate the electric field of a sphere?

To calculate the electric field of a sphere, you will need to use the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere. Plug in the values and solve for E to find the electric field.

2. What is the direction of the electric field of a sphere?

The electric field of a sphere is always directed radially outward from the center of the sphere. This means that the direction of the electric field is the same as the direction from the center of the sphere to any point on its surface.

3. How does the electric field of a sphere change with distance?

The electric field of a sphere follows an inverse square law, which means that it decreases with distance from the sphere. As the distance from the sphere increases, the electric field strength decreases proportionally to the square of the distance.

4. Can the electric field of a sphere be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a sphere can be negative. This occurs when the charge of the sphere is negative. The negative sign in the electric field formula indicates the direction of the electric field vector, not the magnitude.

5. How is the electric field of a conducting sphere different from a non-conducting sphere?

The electric field of a conducting sphere is different from a non-conducting sphere because the charge on a conducting sphere is evenly distributed on its surface, while the charge on a non-conducting sphere may be concentrated at a certain point. This affects the electric field strength and direction around the sphere.