1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find pressure coefficient?

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    a. A very large reservoir of pressurized air feeds a contraction and forms a free jet of air of circular cross section and diameter 60 cm in a laboratory, where the ambient pressure is atmospheric. A Pitot static tube is arranged in the jet and attached to a vertical U-tube manometer containing alcohol. If the difference in levels recorded by the manometer is 65 mm, find the air speed.

I was able to find the air speed leading the contraction to be 28.8 m/s

b. The Pitot static tube is removed and replaced by a small body, which is equipped with static pressure holes in its surface. If the minimum gauge pressure recorded on the body is found to be -310 Pa, find the maximum velocity on the body.

I found the maximum velocity of the body to be 36.5 m/s.

c. State the values of pressure coefficient on the body (i) at the stagnation point, and (ii) at a point where the velocity achieves a value 50% above the value in the jet.

I have no idea how to approach this at all. I am assuming the stagnation point is in the center of the object where the air velocity is 0. But I am not familiar with a pressure coefficient or where to find where the velocity is half of what it should be.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted