Calculating Angle for Accurate Shooting

• Thread starter mathcrzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary: So if you know that at2=hypotenuse, and you want to figure out the angle, you would use sin(Angle)=opposite/hypotenuse, then plug in the known values.
mathcrzy
A hunter aims directly at a target (on the same level) 130 m away.

(a) If the bullet leaves the gun at a speed of 300 m/s, by how much will it miss the target?
.9 m

(b) At what angle should the gun be aimed so the target will be hit?
_____°

Physics news on Phys.org
1. How much time does the bullet take to reach the target, assuming its speed is constant?

2. What is the gravitational acceleration acting upon the bullet over this time?

3. What is the formula for distance dropped due to constant acceleration and zero initial velocity?

4. How far does the bullet fall due to the acceleration over the time of travel?

5. Calculate the tangent for the distance fallen vs. the distance to the target.

1. .43 seconds

2. 9.8m/s^2

3. ?

4. .9m in 130 m

5. ?

Y and X components of motion here are separate things, so in number 3 u treat the bullet falling as a separate part, where a=g. (You already have T, so just look for the formula that works) basically what u did to obtain number 4, just that you write your formula and variables down for Y component of motion.

5.I believe is trigonometry, SOH,CAH,TOA. The tangent of distance fallen vs the distance travelled, is visualized much clearer if you do a diagram, you know that distance travel is a straight parallel line on the X axis, and distance fallen is a distance in the Y axis, if you draw this you will get a right triangle. There you can calculate the angle that the bullet falls, using Angle = Tan Y/X (TOA). If you know that the bullet shot at 0 degrees will fall Y distance at a X degree angle, what would happen if you shoot it at a +X angle?

(draw diagrams, it makes it much easier to visualize)

i figured out the hypotenuse=130.0031153. now how do i figure out the angle?

Hints:

What does at2/2 equal?

Also, remember sin(Angle)=opposite/hypotenuse.

1. How do I measure the angle between two lines?

To measure the angle between two lines, you will need a protractor. Place the protractor on the point where the two lines meet, and align one of the lines with the baseline of the protractor. Then, read the angle measurement where the other line intersects with the protractor.

2. How do I find the angle of a triangle?

To find the angle of a triangle, you can use the fact that the angles of a triangle add up to 180 degrees. So if you know the measurements of two angles, you can subtract them from 180 to find the third angle. Alternatively, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find the angles of a triangle.

3. How do I calculate the angle of a circle?

To calculate the angle of a circle, you will need to know the radius and the arc length of the circle section. Then, you can use the formula angle = arc length / radius. Make sure to use the same units for both the arc length and the radius.

4. How do I find the angle of elevation or depression?

To find the angle of elevation or depression, you will need to use the tangent function. First, draw a right triangle with one side representing the vertical distance and the other side representing the horizontal distance. Then, use the tangent function to find the angle by dividing the vertical distance by the horizontal distance.

5. How do I measure the angle of rotation?

To measure the angle of rotation, you will need to know the initial position and the final position of the object or shape being rotated. Then, you can draw a line from the initial position to the final position and use the protractor to measure the angle between that line and the original position.