How do I find the distance traveled if I know the acceleration and time?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between acceleration (A), time (T), and distance (D), with the formula D = A * T^2 being mentioned. However, the correct formula is actually (A * T^2) / 2. The conversation also briefly mentions the use of a link for further information, but experiences technical difficulties. The conversation ends with a casual discussion about ham radio and potential solutions for a broken antenna.
vbman11
so if A is the acceleration
and T is time
and D is distance
then

D = A * T^2

right?

Physics news on Phys.org
vbman11 said:
I was looking for a quick check to make sure I'm right... so yes or no?

Please look at the link. The answer is right there in a big box on the front page.

Sry bud you just sent me a link to a page that contains an HTML frame. go ahead and try that link out for yourself and see. It'll just show the home page.

vbman11 said:
Sry bud you just sent me a link to a page that contains an HTML frame. go ahead and try that link out for yourself and see. It'll just show the home page.

Oopsies. I didn't realize the link didn't follow me down a couple of click levels. I'll have to figure out how to fix that.

In the mean time, just click on Mechanics, and then on Velocity & Acceleration.

Does that work okay?

vbman11 said:
so if A is the acceleration
and T is time
and D is distance
then

D = A * T^2

right?
Nope, it's (A *T^2 )/2

So 9 seconds and 32 f/s (1g) would cover about one quarter mile, 1320 feet.
32*81=2592, divide by 2=1296 feet. A true quarter mile would be about 9.08 seconds.

73 Berkeman, AI3N here. 2 meters, 70 cm, 20/30/40/80 voice mainly. Antenna blew down, need one of those air powered potato guns to get the dipole back in the trees!

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the distance traveled if I know the acceleration and time?

To calculate the distance traveled, you can use the equation d = 0.5 x a x t^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Make sure to use the same units for all variables.

2. What if I don't know the acceleration and time separately?

If you have the initial velocity, final velocity, and time, you can use the equation d = 0.5 x (v0 + vf) x t to calculate the distance traveled. If you only have the average velocity and time, you can use the equation d = v x t, where v is the average velocity.

3. Can I use this equation for any type of motion?

The equation d = 0.5 x a x t^2 is specifically for calculating the distance traveled during constant acceleration. If the acceleration is not constant, you will need to use a different equation, such as d = v0 x t + 0.5 x a x t^2, where v0 is the initial velocity.

4. What if the object is moving in two dimensions?

If the object is moving in two dimensions, you will need to break down the motion into its x and y components and use separate equations for each component. The total distance traveled will be the result of adding the distances traveled in each component.

5. Is there a simpler way to calculate the distance traveled?

If you have access to a motion sensor or tracker, you can use it to directly measure the distance traveled by the object. This will give you a more accurate result compared to using equations and calculations.