1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the height at which a ball is released in a friction-les loop question?

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    At the top of a "frictionless" loop that is 75 cm high, a 75 Kg ball bearing is travelling at 1.9m/s. From what height was the ball released?

I have absolutely no Idea where to start here.

Diameter= 0.075m
    Velocity=1.9m/s
    Force related to Gravity=0.74N
    m=0.075Kg

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2
    Re: How do I find the height at which a ball is released in a friction-les loop quest

If you are using energy like your tag suggests then write out your energy equation:

ΔE = ΔKv + ΔKr + ΔEtherm + ΔUpot

Etherm can be neglected because the loop is frictionless. Substitute in your energy equations for your change in kinetic energy (HINT ball is assumed to start from rest unless the question otherwise states), the change in kinetic rotational energy (HINT that of a point mass) and your change in potential energy (which will have an unknown value). Solve for unknown and you should get your answer...

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3
    Re: How do I find the height at which a ball is released in a friction-les loop quest

That makes much more sense, THANK YOU

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook