How do I find the input Z of a cascaded transmission line?

In summary, it is important to find the input impedance relative to the segment nearest to the load and use that as the load in the next iteration. Adding the characteristic impedances will not work. It is also important to have matching networks between the segments for independent treatment. The solution is dependent on length and frequency.
seang
Can I first find the input impedance relative to the segment nearest to the load, then use the found input impedance as the load in next iteration? Or can I add the characteristic impedances, since they are sort of in series?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you just hook different transmission lines together, then the impedance mismatches will cause reflections.
Any solution will be length and frequency dependent.

If you have matching networks between the segments then you can treat each segment independently.

seang said:
Can I first find the input impedance relative to the segment nearest to the load, then use the found input impedance as the load in next iteration? Or can I add the characteristic impedances, since they are sort of in series?

Your first solution is correct. You cannot simply add the characteristic impedances.

Question 1:

What is a cascaded transmission line?

A cascaded transmission line is a series of interconnected transmission lines that are used to transfer signals or data from one point to another. The output of one transmission line is connected to the input of the next, creating a chain or cascade of transmission lines.

Question 2:

Why is it important to find the input impedance (Z) of a cascaded transmission line?

The input impedance of a transmission line is a crucial parameter in determining the performance and characteristics of the line. It helps in understanding signal reflections, power transfer, and overall signal integrity. Therefore, finding the input impedance is essential for proper design and analysis of a cascaded transmission line system.

Question 3:

How is the input impedance (Z) of a cascaded transmission line calculated?

The input impedance of a cascaded transmission line can be calculated by using the transfer matrix method or the ABCD parameters. This involves considering the individual transmission line characteristics, such as length, characteristic impedance, and propagation constant, and using them to determine the overall input impedance of the cascaded system.

Question 4:

What factors can affect the input impedance (Z) of a cascaded transmission line?

The input impedance of a cascaded transmission line can be affected by various factors such as the characteristic impedance of each individual line, the length of the lines, and the number of lines in the cascade. Additionally, the type of termination used and any impedance mismatches can also impact the overall input impedance of the system.

Question 5:

How can the input impedance (Z) of a cascaded transmission line be adjusted?

The input impedance of a cascaded transmission line can be adjusted by using impedance matching techniques such as stubs, transformers, or series and shunt matching networks. These techniques can be used to match the characteristic impedance of the transmission line to the desired input impedance, thereby improving signal transfer and minimizing reflections.