1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the instantaneous acceleration for a velocity-time graph that is NOT a

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    http://i52.tinypic.com/95zrsw.png

^ okay, if my velocity-time graph looks like that (it was a quick sketch), and I need to find the INSTANTANEOUS velocity at point A and point B, how do I do it?

I mean, I understand the slope of the tangent = instantaneous acceleration, but this is not a curve. Thus, I also understand to use the normal straight slope. But I don't understand, WHICH slope is the INSTANTANEOUS acceleration for those points?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: How do I find the instantaneous acceleration for a velocity-time graph that is NO

You read the instantaneous velocities at A and B directly from the graph (because your plot is v vs. t). On the other hand, if you meant to say instantaneous "acceleration" (not velocity), then at A and B there is *no well-defined value*: the acceleration changes instantly from one constant value to another, so the acceleration at one 100 billionth of a second before A is different than the acceleration at one 100 billionth of a second after A.

RGV

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3
    Re: How do I find the instantaneous acceleration for a velocity-time graph that is NO

Thank you! Just another simple question, then would it be easier if I make a scatter-plot of my velocity points on my vt graph, then I'll find the line of best fit for average velocity, then find the instantaneous acceleration at the time interval of A and B?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook