1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the integral of sin^3 (t) cos(tà

1. Feb 9, 2005 #1
    How would you do: [itex] \int \sin^{3} t cos t [/itex]? Would [itex] u = t\cos t [/itex]?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't your integral just
    [tex] \int \sin^{3}t \ \cos t \ dt [/tex]

...?

Daniel.

4. Feb 9, 2005 #3
    yes. so would [itex] u = t, dt = du [/tex]

Also for [tex] \int (x-1)e^{x^{2} - 2x} [/tex] woud [tex] u = x^{2} - 2x [/tex]? Because I know that the answer is [tex] \frac{1}{2}(x-1)e^{x^{2} - 2x} [/tex].

Thanks

5. Feb 9, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the first part,that's not a valid change of variable.

For the second,it's okay.

Daniel.

6. Feb 9, 2005 #5
    would i apply the identity [tex] sin^{2} x = 1 - cos^{2} x [/tex]? Also for the second one, once i make the substitution how do we get the [tex] \frac{1}{2} [/tex] in the front?

7. Feb 9, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \int sin^{3}x \cos x \ dx=\int \sin^{3}x d(\sin x) =\frac{\sin^{4}x}{4} +C [/tex]

As for the second,the 1/2 comes from the cancelation of the 2 which would result from the derivative of the exponent.

Daniel.

8. Feb 9, 2005 #7
    ok thanks a lot. So you substituted [tex] d(sin x) = cos x [/tex] so we get our elementary integrations.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?