1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the velocity that an electron must acquire

1. Dec 6, 2004 #1
    How do I find the velocity that an electron must acquire, if its mass is to be equal to the rest mass of a proton?

I know that the masses of electron and proton are 9.11 X 10^-31 kg and 1.67 X 10^-27 kg, respectively.

Am I going to use the formula m = m_0 / (1 - v^2/c^2)^(1/2) ?

How do I continue from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2004 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's approximate this number,okay??
    [tex]\frac{9.11\cdot 10^{-31}}{1.67\cdot 10^{-27}}\sim \frac{1}{1836} [/tex]

I'll give u the final answer and let u work out your way through to it.
    [tex] v=\frac{\sqrt{1836^{2}-1}}{1836} c [/tex]

Good luck!!

4. Dec 6, 2004 #3
    Hmm, I just got your reply.. seems like it is almost the same as the speed of light... amazing!

5. Dec 6, 2004 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Judging it in the context of SR,it's not surprising,let alone amazing.So,by "I just got your reply" does it mean you solved the problem and confronted the result with mine ??Hopefully so,it would mean that the PF community did its job and got u happy and satisfied... :approve: :approve:

6. Dec 7, 2004 #5
    Hi! What I mean is that when I saw your hints, I quickly solve the problem - knowing that my first idea is correct... but I did not confront your answer... I just saw that I got the correct solution.. same as yours.

But I thank you for helping me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?