How do I find the work and power if I have a mass in Newtons?

In summary, when trying to find work while climbing up stairs, the individual converted their weight of 135 pounds into Newtons by multiplying it by 4.5. They then multiplied this by 9.8 (m/sec^2) and the distance of the stairs, resulting in a large number. However, they were reminded to include units for all measurements, and were asked to consider whether 607N*9.8m/sec^2 is a valid force unit. After making changes to their data and including units, it was determined that there was no need to multiply by 9.8 when converting weight to Newtons.
MoreZitiPlease
Im trying to find my work when climbing up stairs. If I convert my weight into Newtons, do I still need to multiply it by 9.8? Since i weigh 135, I multiplied that by 4.5 to get my weight in Newtons. I then multiplied that by 9.8, after that I multiplied that by 3.0 m ( the distance of the stairs). I got a really big number

that okay?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you multiply by 4.5? 135 what?

135 pounds

1pound=4.45 Newtons

So then why did you multiply by 9.8 again if you already have your weight in Newtons?

No, it's not ok. You only put units on the height of the stairs. Put units on EVERYTHING. You weight 135? 135 what? I'm guessing lbs. Don't make me guess. So then 135lb*4.5N/lb=607N is already a force unit (Newtons=kg*m/sec^2). I'm guessing when you said 9.8 you mean 9.8m/sec^2. Work is force times distance. Is 607N*9.8m/sec^2 even a force unit? Can you answer your own question? "If I convert my weight into Newtons, do I still need to multiply it by 9.8?". Yes or no?

no, you dont..

okay, thanks

let me change my data

thanks

1. How do I calculate work if I have a mass in Newtons?

To calculate work, you will need to use the formula W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is displacement. If you have the mass in Newtons, you can simply convert it to force by using the formula F = m x a, where m is mass and a is acceleration. Once you have the force, plug it into the work formula to get the answer.

2. Can I use the mass in Newtons to calculate power?

No, you cannot use the mass in Newtons to calculate power. Power is calculated using the formula P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. To calculate power, you will need to know the amount of work done and the time it took to do that work. Simply having the mass in Newtons will not be sufficient.

3. Is the mass in Newtons the same as the weight in kilograms?

No, the mass in Newtons is not the same as the weight in kilograms. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, and it is measured in Newtons. Mass, on the other hand, is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, and it is measured in kilograms. However, you can use the mass in Newtons to calculate the weight in Newtons by using the formula W = m x g, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the unit of measurement for work and power?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J), while the unit of measurement for power is watts (W). Both of these units are derived from the base units of mass, length, and time in the International System of Units (SI).

5. Can I use the mass in Newtons to calculate the force?

Yes, you can use the mass in Newtons to calculate the force. As mentioned earlier, the formula for force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. By rearranging the formula, you can calculate the force by dividing the mass in Newtons by the acceleration.