1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Do I Find the Y-int?

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If I have a waveform that looks like it does in the attached picture, how can I figure out the y-int at the point where the line curves like triangle?

3. The attempt at a solution

This is confusing to me because I can figure out the slope of the triangle, but I don't see how there is a yint since the part of the form from x = 4 to x = 6 does not cross the y-axis.

Attached Files:

• df.JPG
      df.JPG
      File size:
      5.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you want to find the y-intercept?

Are you sure you don't want to find y-max?

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3
    I figured that's the way I could solve for the function of this waveform.

That is, I could find the function of the part of the wave

1. from x = 0 to x = 4

2. from x = 4 to x = 5

3. from x = 5 to x = 6

Then, after I've deduced the correct functions that define each of the 3 parts of the waveform, I'd just add them up.

So, in my mind, since (2) is a slanted line, it must have an equation of the form y = mx+ b. m would simply be equal to [5-4]/[5-4] =1, but I don't see how I could get b.

5. Feb 10, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

To get the equation of the part of the waveform between x = 4 and x = 5, use the slope you found (1) and a point on the line. One of these appears to be (4, 4).

The point-slope form of the equation of a line gives y - 4 = 1(x - 4), which simplifies to y = x.

The point-slope form is:

Given a line with slope m, that passes through the point (x0, y0), the equation of the line is

y - y0 = m(x - x0)

6. Feb 10, 2013 #5
    Okay, let me see if I get this right.

1. The slope of (1) is [4-0]/[4-0] = 1

2. Using this slope and the point (4,4) and plugging it into the y - y0 = m(x - x0) equation yields :

y - 4 = 1(x - 4) -> y - 4 = x -4 -> y = x

3. From this, my equation for (2) is then shown to be y = x?

7. Feb 10, 2013 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's y = x for 4 ≤ x ≤ 5. The formula is valid on that interval. Other intervals have different formulas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook