How do I find transformation rotation?

In summary, R is a clockwise rotation about (0,2) by 90 degrees and T is a translation that maps the point (x,y) onto the point (x+3,y+1). If P is the point (2,3), then R(P) is (-1,4) and TR(P) is (2,5). The standard technique for a rotation around a point is to translate the point to (0,0), rotate around (0,0), and then translate back. When rotating clockwise about (0,2) by 90 degrees, the point (x,y) is moved to (x,y-2), then rotated to (y-2,-x), and finally translated back to (
footprints
1)Two operations, R and T, are defined as follows:
R is a clockwise rotation through 90[tex]\circ[/tex] about (0,2) and T is a translation which maps the point (x,y) onto the point (x+3, y+1).
If P is the point (2,3), find the coordinates of R(P) and TR(P)

How do I find rotation? I'm just stuck with that part.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a few points on a graph. Rotate them around the point (0, 2) by 90 degrees and see where they end up.

I think you'll get something like:

(Xr, Yr) = (Y-2, 2-X)

But check it, as I might be wrong.

What exactly do you mean by "find the transformation". A standard technique for a rotation around (x0, y0) is: translate (add or subtract) to move (x0, y0) to (0,0), then rotate around (0,0), then translate back again.

In the case of "clockwise rotation about (0,2) by 90 degrees", first move the point (x,y) to (x, y- 2) (so that (0,2) would be moved to (0,0). Rotating clockwise 90 degrees about (0,0) moves the point (x,y) to (-y, x) so (x, y-2) would be moved to
(2-y, x). Now translate back again: (2-y, x) moves to (2-y, x+2).
That is, a "clockwise rotation about (0,2) by 90 degrees" moves the point (x,y) to
(2-y, x+2). Notice that (0,2) itself would be moved to (2-2, 0+2)= (0,2) again. That's obviously correct, the point about which we rotate should not change. On the other hand, the point (1,2) is 1 unit directly to the right of (0,2) and a "clockwise rotation about (0,2) by 90 degrees" should move it to a point 1 unit above (0,2)- that is, (0,3). Yes, with x= 1, y= 2, (2-y,x+2) becomes (2-2,1+2)= (0,3).

In particular, if P= (2, 3) then R(P)= (2-3,2+2)= (-1, 4) and TR(P)= (-1+3, 4+1)= (2,5).

Doesn't HallsofIvy's translation rotate anti-clockwise, given the conventional orientation of the x and y axes? :confused:

HallsofIvy said:
What exactly do you mean by "find the transformation". A standard technique for a rotation around (x0, y0) is: translate (add or subtract) to move (x0, y0) to (0,0), then rotate around (0,0), then translate back again.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by find the transformation because I don't remember typing it anywhere. If you are referring to my title, then that is what the subject is about.
HallsofIvy said:
In the case of "clockwise rotation about (0,2) by 90 degrees", first move the point (x,y) to (x, y- 2) (so that (0,2) would be moved to (0,0). Rotating clockwise 90 degrees about (0,0) moves the point (x,y) to (-y, x) so (x, y-2) would be moved to
(2-y, x). Now translate back again: (2-y, x) moves to (2-y, x+2).
That is, a "clockwise rotation about (0,2) by 90 degrees" moves the point (x,y) to
(2-y, x+2). Notice that (0,2) itself would be moved to (2-2, 0+2)= (0,2) again. That's obviously correct, the point about which we rotate should not change. On the other hand, the point (1,2) is 1 unit directly to the right of (0,2) and a "clockwise rotation about (0,2) by 90 degrees" should move it to a point 1 unit above (0,2)- that is, (0,3). Yes, with x= 1, y= 2, (2-y,x+2) becomes (2-2,1+2)= (0,3).
That is exactly what I'm looking for (not ceptimus's first reply. Not that I'm ungrateful or anything), except that the books answers doesn't match yours. As ceptimus said, I think you gave me the translation for anti-clockwise rotation. If I'm not wrong, a clockwise rotation about (0,0) by 90 degrees should be [tex](x,y) \rightarrow (y,-x)[/tex] right? My problem is that I'm not sure where the numbers go.

Yes, I was doing it counter-clockwise instead of clockwise! Rotating clockwise about (0,0) takes (x, y) into (y, -x) so: (x,y) translates to (x, y-2), then rotates to (y-2,-x) then translates back to (y-2,2-x) which was what you said originally wasn't it?

1. What is transformation rotation?

Transformation rotation is a mathematical concept used to describe the movement of an object in a three-dimensional space. It involves changing the position, orientation, and size of an object by rotating it around a fixed point or axis.

2. How do I determine the rotation angle?

The rotation angle can be determined by measuring the amount of rotation needed to move the object from its original position to its final position. This can be done by using a protractor or by calculating the angle using trigonometric functions.

3. What is the difference between 2D and 3D rotation?

2D rotation involves rotating an object in a two-dimensional space, while 3D rotation involves rotating an object in a three-dimensional space. 2D rotation only requires rotation around the z-axis, while 3D rotation can involve rotation around all three axes (x, y, z).

4. How do I perform a transformation rotation?

To perform a transformation rotation, you first need to determine the rotation angle and axis. Then, you can use a rotation matrix or a transformation matrix to apply the rotation to the coordinates of the object. You can also use software programs such as MATLAB or Mathematica to perform transformation rotations.

5. What are some real-world applications of transformation rotation?

Transformation rotation is used in various fields, including computer graphics, robotics, and engineering. It is used to create 3D animations, manipulate objects in 3D space, and control the movement of robots. It is also used in the design and analysis of mechanical systems, such as gears and engines.