1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I get a job?

1. Apr 15, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I just graduated 5 months ago with a ChemE degree and I need advice on finding a job. I have a good GPA (3.4) and have 3 summers worth of internships. I live in the US and am willing to relocate.

So far I've applied to about 40 positions (I know, I know that's not a lot). I've been making cold calls and going to every career fair in my state, but I am having zero luck. I called my boss from my previous internship and he doesn't have anything for me either.

I really want to get more serious and change up my strategy but I just don't know how. Any advice on how to step it up is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2013 #2
    Are you applying only through sites like monster and usajobs? I've found more offerings by actually seeking out companies' career pages. On top of big and medium size chem businesses, look into DOE labs and environmental consulting agencies. Lots of demand for chem engies there.

I've ran into quite a lot of postings for chem engineers at the entry level, no doubt you've already applied to them if you've already done 40. All I can say is just keep trying. If you haven't had luck with your credentials, I wonder what kind of hope there is for the rest of us...

4. Apr 15, 2013 #3

turbo

Gold Member

A decent letter of recommendation from your internship supervisor might open a door or two. Work-history is a big sell for managers in this economic environment.

My nephew interned summers at a paper mill while studying engineering. He had to relocate to the southern end of the state to get decent wages, but he had work waiting for him when he graduated. He was quite diligent about his work history as an intern, because jobs in central Maine are scarce, and he didn't want to leave the state like his older brother did. Good luck.

5. Apr 15, 2013 #4
    Thank you for the replies
    Yes Lava, I usually first find the jobs on boards like monster and indeed, but then I go to the companies website and apply directly through them.

Has anyone had much success with online applications?? I had a little faith in them because I somehow got my internships with them. But they're feeling more and more like a big waste of time. I'm not sure what else to do though. I've tried calling places to see if I could get a contact and ask some questions so I could stand out, but they've been very rude when I call. Its like how dare I have the nerve to disturb them for 2 minutes.

6. Apr 16, 2013 #5
    I've never had success with online applications. I still send them out occasionally. I have also called places like you said with similar results.

Getting a job can tough, landing a career can be very difficult. The longer you spend out of school looking the harder it gets...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook