Get an Avatar: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter The P-manator
  • Start date
In summary, to upload an avatar you need to either have a paid subscription or be a contributor with an existing avatar. You can turn signatures on and off, and upgrade to have ads removed and a recognition graphic displayed, among other features.
The P-manator
I couldn't find where I could upload an avatar in my profile.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to get a paid subscription first. It's one of the perks.

An avatar is a feature only given to PF contributors (subscribers), or to people who already had an avatar before this policy was introduced.

Zz.

An avatar costs $25 dollars (U.S.) per year.

zoobyshoe said:
An avatar costs $25 dollars (U.S.) per year.
Along with other features of course!

z-component said:
Along with other features of course!
We'll explain the secret super-powers to him after he forks over the $25.

There's nothing in FAQ(Frequently Annoying Questions :wink: ) about when administrator enables sig. or avatar for someone. Not sure but I guess there's nothing about PF contributors either! I guess new members have no idea of those, at first!

FAQ said:
What is the signature for?
After you have registered, you may set your signature. This is a piece of text that you would like to be inserted at the end of all your posts, a little like having headed note paper.

If the administrator has enabled signatures, then you will have the option to include your signature on any posts you make. If you have specified a signature, then the forum will automatically append your signature to any messages you post. You can disable signatures on a per-post basis by un-ticking the 'Show Signature' checkbox when you compose your message.

You may turn the signature on and off on posts you have already made by editing the post and altering the state of the 'Show Signature' option.

You can set your signature by editing your profile.

How do I get a picture under my username?
These small images are called Avatars. They are displayed below your username on all posts that you make. There are two kinds of avatars: those provided by the administrator and those that you upload yourself.

If the administrator has provided a set of avatars, and avatars are enabled, you may select an avatar that best describes your personality.

The administrator may also have enabled custom avatars, which allows you to upload an avatar image from your computer.

For more information about avatars, click here.

zoobyshoe said:
We'll explain the secret super-powers to him after he forks over the $25.
and after his paddling

If you click on "Upgrade" in the menu at the top right of the page, you'll see the information about subscriptions which says:
PF Contributors 1yr
No ads, recognition graphic, set invisible, custom title, signature, avatars, profile photo, 100pm limit, who's online, user notes, PF email...

The only thing that isn't accurate is the custom title part since titles aren't enabled anymore.

Thanks. How much for a year? $25 U.S.?

The P-manator said:
Thanks. How much for a year? $25 U.S.?
You can pay by credit card even if you don't have a PayPal account - I didn't know that at first.

I paid $25 last year just to support PF, and didn't even use the avatar (or any of the other added features) until now. Also, I've spent about $1,000 on books at Amazon.com over the past year, but didn't know until recently that there's a way to benefit PF by making these purchases through PF. I suggest that these opportunities to benefit PF be made even more clear to everyone, and that students should be able to contribute at a $5 (or so) level.

Last edited:

What is an avatar?

An avatar is a digital representation of an individual or character used in online communities, video games, virtual reality, and other forms of digital media.

Why do I need an avatar?

An avatar can be useful for personal branding, creating a unique online identity, and enhancing your online presence.

How do I create an avatar?

There are various ways to create an avatar, including using online avatar creation tools, designing your own using graphic design software, or using a photo of yourself as your avatar.

What should I consider when creating an avatar?

When creating an avatar, you should consider your personal style, the purpose of your avatar, and the platform where you will be using it. You should also ensure that your avatar is appropriate and does not violate any terms of service or community guidelines.

Can I change my avatar?

Yes, you can change your avatar at any time. Some online platforms may have limitations or restrictions on how often you can change your avatar, so it is important to check the platform's guidelines before making any changes.