Exploring High Expansion Materials for Artistic Applications

• Thread starter John Tomlinson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, you are looking for a material or process that expands significantly, say 10% to 20%, in the room temperature range while maintaining its' shape. You want to use it to create molds of objects that are significantly larger than the original.
John Tomlinson
Processes like thermal expansion produce very slight expansion/contraction. I am looking for a material/process that expands significantly, say 10% to 20%, in the room temperature range while maintaining its' shape. I know some materials expand significantly when wet, but don't know any numbers or where to locate such data. It would be bonus if the material could be put in a mold. I am doing an art project and would like to scale up some of the elements I am using.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of material?

Tell us some more about your application and we might be able to give you some pointers. Does this expansion have to be repeatable? Does it have to be with temperature changes?

Aren't there some porous materials that would suit this kind of purpose pretty good, you could do the expansion with moisture (then again I could be completely wrong)? With respect to temperature (and probably moisture as well) some polymers do expand quite a bit but don't think (know) if they can go as high as 10-20% ...

Foam insulation, but it would need a mold.

Artman said:
Foam insulation, but it would need a mold.

But foams of course, actually if you can put it in a mold how is the expansion relevant ... or if want to use just a single mold and expand it up from there.

Use of the material

I would like to make a mold of an object, put the material into the mold, then do something to make the newly molded object expand to a size greater than the original while retaining the original shape.

This may be a silly question, but why not just make the mold the size you would like to end up with? There's no way you are going to get any kind of dimensional stability or similarity between the original and scaled parts by the way you are thinking.

What, EXACTLY, is it that you are doing?

FredGarvin said:
This may be a silly question, but why not just make the mold the size you would like to end up with?
I second this sentiment. Why all this trouble for a paltry 20% increase in size ?
There's no way you are going to get any kind of dimensional stability or similarity between the original and scaled parts by the way you are thinking
I tend to think so too, but this depends on your tolerances.

why 10%-20%

There are two possibilities I have in mind. When I make molds and then fill them with clay/ceramics the piece shrinks 10 to 20 percent. I would like to make a mold of the expanded piece so that when I make a ceramic object from it I can get something that was the original size. A second use I would have is that if I can get expansion significantly greater than 20% I could use this to make molds of objects that were scaled up significantly larger than the original. I think I might be able to offset the 'dimensional instability' by not casting solid. If there were a high degree of dimensional instability, that might be OK too. I might not mind if the objects were distorted as long as they were visually interesting.

1. How does temperature affect expansion?

Temperature plays a major role in expansion. When an object is heated, its particles gain kinetic energy and begin to move more, causing the object to expand. When an object is cooled, its particles lose energy and move less, resulting in contraction.

2. Can pressure also cause expansion?

Yes, pressure can also cause expansion. When an object is placed under high pressure, its particles are forced closer together, resulting in an increase in volume and expansion. This is known as compressive stress.

3. How do I calculate the expansion of a material?

The expansion of a material can be calculated by using the coefficient of thermal expansion, which is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts with a change in temperature. This value is typically provided in units of length per unit temperature, such as meters per degree Celsius.

4. What factors can affect expansion besides temperature and pressure?

Besides temperature and pressure, other factors that can affect expansion include the type of material, its molecular structure, and any external forces acting on the object. For example, a material with a rigid molecular structure may have less expansion compared to a material with a more flexible structure.

5. How can expansion be controlled or minimized?

Expansion can be controlled or minimized by choosing materials with low coefficients of thermal expansion, using materials with similar expansion rates in constructions, and designing structures with room for expansion and contraction. Temperature and pressure can also be controlled to minimize expansion.