Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How do i get my velocity?

1. Mar 17, 2005 #1
    consider a rotating doughnut shaped space station used to treat burn patients. the patients are located on the outer perimeter of the station at a distance of 200 meters from the axis of rotation. calculate the period of rotation that would produce a radial acceleration equal to 1/10 the acceleration due to gravity (.98 meters/second2).

this appears to me as a centripetal acceleration problem...a=v2/r, because the acceleration is directed toward the center, but how do i get my velocity? am i going in the right direction? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You are on the right track.
    Now, you have gotten that [tex]\frac{v^{2}}{R}=\frac{g}{10}[/tex]
    This has only 1 unknown, v.

Secondly, how is v related to the period?

4. Mar 17, 2005 #3
    well, velocity is m/s. if i solve this equation i get v2=.0049/s2, which is no good!

5. Mar 17, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What are you talking about?
    You get [tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{gR}{10}}[/tex]

6. Mar 17, 2005 #5
    which gives you a velocity of 14 m/s. however, that does not help you find the period using centripetal accelaration

7. Mar 17, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sure it does: What is the relation between the velocity you found and the period?

8. Mar 17, 2005 #7
    velocity is 14m/s and one period is 2pi...therefore the period is equal to 87.9 seconds

9. Mar 17, 2005 #8
    never mind that doesn't work

10. Mar 17, 2005 #9
    i got it..one period equals 2 pi and the lenth of arc s/r equals the circumference of the station...thanks for your help

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook