Calculating Velocity for Burn Patients on a Rotating Space Station

• Thread starter IamatWork
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a rotating doughnut shaped space station to treat burn patients. The patients are located at a distance of 200 meters from the axis of rotation and the goal is to calculate the period of rotation that would produce a radial acceleration equal to 1/10 the acceleration due to gravity. The conversation involves solving a centripetal acceleration problem and determining the relation between velocity and period. Ultimately, the participants come to the conclusion that the period is equal to 2 pi and the length of arc s/r equals the circumference of the station.
IamatWork
consider a rotating doughnut shaped space station used to treat burn patients. the patients are located on the outer perimeter of the station at a distance of 200 meters from the axis of rotation. calculate the period of rotation that would produce a radial acceleration equal to 1/10 the acceleration due to gravity (.98 meters/second2).

this appears to me as a centripetal acceleration problem...a=v2/r, because the acceleration is directed toward the center, but how do i get my velocity? am i going in the right direction? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track.
Now, you have gotten that [tex]\frac{v^{2}}{R}=\frac{g}{10}[/tex]
This has only 1 unknown, v.

Secondly, how is v related to the period?

well, velocity is m/s. if i solve this equation i get v2=.0049/s2, which is no good!

What are you talking about?
You get [tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{gR}{10}}[/tex]

which gives you a velocity of 14 m/s. however, that does not help you find the period using centripetal accelaration

Sure it does: What is the relation between the velocity you found and the period?

velocity is 14m/s and one period is 2pi...therefore the period is equal to 87.9 seconds

never mind that doesn't work

i got it..one period equals 2 pi and the lenth of arc s/r equals the circumference of the station...thanks for your help

1. How do I calculate my velocity?

To calculate velocity, you need to divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is: velocity = distance / time.

2. What units are used to measure velocity?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or miles per hour (mph). However, it can also be measured in other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or feet per second (ft/s).

3. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. A negative velocity indicates that an object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial position. For example, if an object is moving to the left, it would have a negative velocity.

4. How does velocity differ from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. Speed, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity and only has magnitude. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion while speed does not.

5. How can I change my velocity?

There are a few ways to change your velocity, such as accelerating or decelerating. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and it can be positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down). An external force, such as a push or pull, is usually needed to change an object's velocity.