1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do i get my velocity?

1. Mar 17, 2005 #1
    consider a rotating doughnut shaped space station used to treat burn patients. the patients are located on the outer perimeter of the station at a distance of 200 meters from the axis of rotation. calculate the period of rotation that would produce a radial acceleration equal to 1/10 the acceleration due to gravity (.98 meters/second2).

this appears to me as a centripetal acceleration problem...a=v2/r, because the acceleration is directed toward the center, but how do i get my velocity? am i going in the right direction? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You are on the right track.
    Now, you have gotten that [tex]\frac{v^{2}}{R}=\frac{g}{10}[/tex]
    This has only 1 unknown, v.

Secondly, how is v related to the period?

4. Mar 17, 2005 #3
    well, velocity is m/s. if i solve this equation i get v2=.0049/s2, which is no good!

5. Mar 17, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What are you talking about?
    You get [tex]v=\sqrt{\frac{gR}{10}}[/tex]

6. Mar 17, 2005 #5
    which gives you a velocity of 14 m/s. however, that does not help you find the period using centripetal accelaration

7. Mar 17, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sure it does: What is the relation between the velocity you found and the period?

8. Mar 17, 2005 #7
    velocity is 14m/s and one period is 2pi...therefore the period is equal to 87.9 seconds

9. Mar 17, 2005 #8
    never mind that doesn't work

10. Mar 17, 2005 #9
    i got it..one period equals 2 pi and the lenth of arc s/r equals the circumference of the station...thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?