How Can I Balance a Part-Time Job with Pursuing My PhD?

• Thread starter xaos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loop
In summary: Yes, getting a TA or some adjunct teaching does look to be a possible out, so you are still willing to consider it.
xaos
at the beginning of college some years ago, i took a part time job working in produce. i worked there through a BA and an MA in mathematics, and now i looks like I'm ready to approach a PhD in applied mathematics, but I'm still working there.

i cannot simply quit because i need the health insurance, and also it pays the rent, and it has been good that it gives me an extra few days to study. but i don't want to stay there while I'm working on my PhD; both because i want to study full time if i can, but also the management there has gotten to be inhospitable.

teaching is only a 30% possibility for me, I'm not sure how to over come the anxiety of presenting myself in front of a class.

industry i see only as a 20% possibility, since they tend to look for techie types, and i don't have any background in engineering except for what I've read in applied maths.

since i live in michigan, most would say i should look for something out of state, but i'd like to stay near my home town if i can.

do i have a clear question? well how can i quit my job, still have health insurance, be able to pay cost of living, and still have time work on PhD?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is teaching only a 30% possibility? Is it less of a possibility since you think you won't be able to do it well?

What does your school have to offer for health insurance for students?

If you have to do a TA-ship, honestly, teaching is not that bad. You'll be nervous the first 3-4 times, but after that, you'll know everyone so well that it becomes like talking to a group of friends.

Math Is Hard said:
If you have to do a TA-ship, honestly, teaching is not that bad. You'll be nervous the first 3-4 times, but after that, you'll know everyone so well that it becomes like talking to a group of friends.

Or more realistically, it will become a group of people who keep falling asleep during your lecture and ask you questions that make you wonder how they managed to graduate high school.

In either case, you'll get over the nervousness fairly quickly.

Pengwuino said:
Or more realistically, it will become a group of people who keep falling asleep during your lecture and ask you questions that make you wonder how they managed to graduate high school.

In either case, you'll get over the nervousness fairly quickly.

But aren't the snoozers usually gone by mid-term?

And yes, the nervousness will fade when the genuinely interested (plus the occasional suck-ups) stop you in the hall to tell you how meaningful and engaging your explanations were.

Math Is Hard said:
And yes, the nervousness will fade when the genuinely interested (plus the occasional suck-ups) stop you in the hall to tell you how meaningful and engaging your explanations were.

I've never heard of this happening. Stop trolling MIH :)

WHOA my 5999th post! I need to save my 6000th for something good.

Pengwuino said:
I've never heard of this happening. Stop trolling MIH :)

No trolling, but I am in a different situation than you, because I am a "trainer". I teach, but my classes are optional, and I don't give grades.

I usually start my classes with a funny youtube video because so many attendees roll in 5 minutes late, and its good to break the ice. Then I say something like

"Hi, I'm MIH, and here is my phone number and email (on the whiteboard or my PowerPoint slide). You guys are here because you work with Application X. I work with it, too, so I am going to show you some things that made my life easier when dealing with Application X, and I hope it will be helpful. I'm also looking forward to finding out the problems that you have encountered. For these, I might not have an answer for you off the top of my head, but I will get back to you. So, let's get started.."

And that's how I teach --as a helpful friend. I'm not formally trained, it's just the only way I know how to do it, and the students respond pretty well.

i'm sometimes taken by severe anxiety usually triggered by unfamiliar social situations where anxiety medication may only help partially. this looks to be the major stumbling block, which is why it has taken so long to get use to the idea of teaching. even simple social situations can be problematic. as i mature, these problems seem to be less an issue. but at this rate, i will be in my mid 40s before i have the maturity to handle teaching (i'm in my mid 30s).

but getting a TA or some adjunct teaching does look to be a possible out, so i am still willing to consider this.

university health insurance tends run on on the order of $100 a month.

Math Is Hard said:

Wow, never had that happening. My students seem to hate me because the material is difficult. I think I'm nice though... :frown:

To the OP: go TA'ing, your anxiety will wear off very quickly! Just think that you are a superior being who teaches their minions, their thoughts won't hurt you! (is that why they hate me so much?)

1. What is a loop in programming?

A loop is a programming construct that allows a set of instructions to be executed repeatedly until a specific condition is met.

2. How do I know if I am stuck in a loop?

You can check if you are stuck in a loop by looking for repeating patterns in your program's output or by setting a breakpoint and stepping through your code.

3. How do I break out of a loop?

To break out of a loop, you can use a conditional statement within the loop that will evaluate to false and end the loop. You can also use a break statement to exit the loop immediately.

4. Can a loop be infinite?

Yes, a loop can be infinite if the condition that controls the loop is never met. This can result in the program running continuously, which can cause it to crash or freeze.

5. How can I prevent getting stuck in a loop?

To prevent getting stuck in a loop, make sure you have a clear understanding of the condition that controls the loop and ensure that it will eventually evaluate to false. You can also use debugging tools to step through your code and identify any potential issues with your loops.