1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I get practical with my engineering education?

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    I am an electrical engineering student currently in my pre-final year.

I recently entered some robotics and circuit design competitions with my friends, and found the experience quite satisfying, applying the principles and theory I learnt in the past 2 years for the very first time.
    However, I find this activity to be highly impractical in the long run, I don't have the funds necessary to keep working on one project after another, the only reason I am able to indulge in it right now is because my friends are pooling in the money for some specific competitions alone.

Is there some other way in which I can gain practical experience? I do not have opportunities to go for internships or help out professors with their work.
    I have been thinking of learning how to use simulation software to design projects, would this be helpful even if I don't go about implementing them in real life?
    Can anyone suggest some other ways through which I can practically apply the theory I have learnt? Or perhaps suggest some project ideas that aren't too simple, but do not empty my pockets either, so that I may be able to build on from there?

I also wish to attend Graduate school, and perhaps get a doctorate and pursue a career in Academia. I realize that this means that I need to involve myself a lot with research. How do I get started with this, especially if I don't have the opportunity to help someone else with their work?
    I have been trying to look up possible sources of information concerning research, being an IEEE student member, I have access to Spectrum and Potentials magazines for example. What are the other sources I can use, especially if I wish to start writing papers and attend a decent number of conferences before graduating?
    I would also appreciate any recommendations of publications that an electrical engineering student or an engineering student in general might find useful.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted